Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
supasirik

How to deal with Notebook without PCMCIA slot go wireless

frown My brother gave me his old notebook, which has no PCMCIA slot. After installed Debian on it, I'm trying to make it connected to Internet wirelessly, but I'm just a linux beginner. I have no idea what to do. frown Does any one know which USB wireless adapter that support Debian or Fedora? And how to set up? Thank you very much.

S.

I know Morphix, thus probably Knoppix/Debian, supports cards using the Prism drivers. I use the Orinoco Gold card which worked right out of the box with no configuration necessary. It supports WEP too with a little research. My wife computes with her Toshiba Satellite daily using Morphix-Gnome from where ever she wishes within range of our Linksys wireless G router.

Any prism based card or orinoco card should work just fine I believe. In my experience the wireless card has always worked with out any faults. To set it up and make sure it works use "iwconfig <wireless card> key <WEP key>" just typing in "iwconfig" will tell you what your wireless card is, for me its "eth1". If you dont use WEP then it will probably be setup automatically through DHCP at boot and you wont need that. "pump" will also configure dhcp for you under Debian (use "dhclient" under redhat/fedora). If you need anything just let me know.

Regards,

Steve