Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
yakkob

Still no sign of my Preview copy of RC-1 over here in the UK

Gutted:(

Anyone else in the UK received their copy yet?

I haven't got my copy here either, as usual we in the UK get royally screwed. I don't bother checking the post now, I keep checking the website (http://www.microsoft.com/uk/preview/pre-release.htm) waiting for the expected availability to change again, it's already changed once. Expect RC1 after everybody else gets RC2 or its probably RTM before we even get it.

Still no sign here either - I sent an e-mail to Microsoft at the beginning of July, and this is the response that I got:

Quote:
Dear Mr. Fair

Thank you for contacting the Microsoft® U.K. Beta Programme regarding Microsoft® Preview Programme® software.

I can confirm that we have recieved the Microsoft® Windows® XP Beta order that you placed on the 15th June. We are currently awaiting stock to arrive for this product and until such a time no payment will be taken from your credit card.

We currentlty anticipate that fulfillment of all pre-orders will be around end of July, although,as yet, we do not have a final confirmation on an exact date.

In order to evaluate Microsoft® Windows® XP within the UK, it will require you waiting for the Beta CD to be sent to you.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.

Yours sincerely,

David Treanor

Beta Contact Executive

Microsoft Connection

E-mail: Ask_Preview@microsoft-contact.co.uk

I thought that the idea was that we would be sent the latest beta versions, and then RC1 as and when it ships; apparently this is not what Microsoft thinks. Maybe they're waiting for RC2?

I think it's time for another e-mail to Microsoft - I'll keep you updated.

Rgds

AndyF

Latest update:

Quote:
Dear Andy

Thank you for contacting the Microsoft® U.K. Beta Programme regarding Microsoft® Preview Programme® software.

We currently anticipate that fulfillment of all pre-orders for Windows XP Proffessional RC 1 will begin shippment at the end of July.

However, this issue regarding shippment times has been flagged to the Preview Product Managers involved. Based on customer feedback already received, this is now currently under investigation

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.

Yours sincerely,

David Treanor

Beta Contact Executive

Microsoft Connection

E-mail: Ask_Preview@microsoft-contact.co.uk

So, no further forward then mad

AndyF

Damn i still dont have mine either, this is taking far longer than i expected frown

Cheers for the update Andy.

I guess we just wait then frown

Well I'm in the UK and I got my copy of RC1 the day after it was released :-)

But I didn't take the "Pay us money and we'll send you it option".

Instead, I e-mailed betaplace, explained that I have a Win2k AD domain here at work and that I need to evaluate WinXP from both the workstation & server side of things.

I got Beta2 Home User, Professional, Server & Advanced Server a day after release as well as Home User & Professional RC1.

Seems they are setting people who are evaluating for servers & networks as priority.

Hey

I just got an email from M$ about RC1 cds for people in the UK. It says here that

'Orders began shipping Friday, July 20, so your kit should arrive any day now!'

So i guess we should get them pretty soon.

laughlaugh 8) laughlaugh

Yeah thats annoying, and RC2 is available only for download, the whole point in me signing up for the preview was because i wanted it on cd as i have a modem, and i dont really want to download however many megs it is frown and now ill just be getting an 'old' version on cd frown (or will i)

Hmmm...not entirely convinced - I too got the e-mail on Friday (which, by the way Microsoft, was the 27 July - a week after you say CDs are shipping...) - but the e-mail I posted above seems to tell a different story.

So which one is true?

I think it's terrible that we'll be getting our RC1 disks (finally) just as the rest of the world can download RC2 - but of course, unless you're in the US, you can't download the preview....it's almost enough to drive you to ***** sites...

AndyF

War3z sites are apnts fpr me m8, as I is still on my humble 56k.

Hell, I can't even get channel 5 where I am !

I wouldn't mourn the lack of Channel 5 - you're not missing much!

As for ware3z sites, I haven't got the patience to sit through all the p0rn popups, only to find that the app you downloaded is riddled with viruses. I'd rather spend the cash and have a virus-free system!

Still no sign of my WinXP CD yet, so I can only assume that MS were telling porkies when they said CDs were being sent on the 20th...

Not a happy bunny mad

AndyF

Last time I phoned MS the said at least 10 days That make it about 10th August for the UK.

Have a look at the MS site they have moved the goal posts and now have a two tier price system £17.63 at MS and £9.xx at MSN .

it seems that the nine quid one is only for RC1 and the seventeen quid one is for a kit,

Bet we don't get RC2 at all here?

Ah well keep waiting we may get RC1 after the code is released to RTM.

OFF Topic MS public news group servers have crashed( BSOD ) it seems been like it for three days, what hope have we got if They (ms) cannot fix their own boxes LOL

Woohoo!!! I woke up t his morning and what did i find, my Windows XP RC1 disc in the UK, finally!!!

Still, M$ should sent us a complimentary copy of RC2 just for taking so long!

The disk arrived here this morning too! What fun I'll have tonight when I get home!!!

No apology enclosed with the CD though - nothing along the lines of "Microsoft UK apologise profusely for sending you RC1 when the rest of the world has RC2. We will be committing hari kiri to atone for our sins in this matter."

Don't suppose we'll ever hear from MS again...

Rgds

AndyF

I also received a cd this morning.

It was RC2, my m8 dl'ed it for me. I find it bladdy irritating that I went to the trouble of signing up, giving my credit card details, etc, only to find that peeps are just dl'ing it everywhere.

I am still waiting for my M$ cd's frown

At least I get to play with it, before it gets here wink

I received mine this morning, and after reading the documentation (very quickly skimmed it through breakfast) I think this is the only version we get. Now, I am pretty sure when I entered my credit card details, M$ said they would also send RC2, when that became available.

Did anybody else think this, or am I going quite mad?

I'm not sure about RC2, but I seem to remember that the registration page said we would get the latest beta ASAP, then RC1 when it came out.

The bummer is that we didn't get the latest beta first, and we've only just received RC1 when the rest of the world is playing with RC2.

Next time I'll register for the beta program!!

Rgds

AndyF

Found this >

-----------------------------------------------------------

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/preview/pre-release.htm

Please note: When ordering your beta product version (costs cover postage & packaging for first copy only). You will automatically be sent 1 update to the beta product version (if applicable) and the final 120-day evaluation version when released. There is no need to re-order for any of these updates.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Surely the final version will be Rc2?

No, the 120 day trial version will be the same version that is available OEM & Retail.

As that version wont be final until the end of August, you won't see the 120 day trial version until September at the earliest.

So we in the UK will be xpecting the RTM 120 eval version then.

That aint so bad I s'pose wink