Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MJohns

SuSE 9.0 Linux Server Access Problem from WinXP Workstation

I just installed SuSE 9.0 Pro on a new server, and set-up SAMBA so that my 3 WinXP workstations could access the shared directories I created. I also used smbpasswd to create the smb passwords for the users. I created a “user” using the name of each of the computers that would be access the shared directories (i.e. moroniPC, almaPC, mosiahPC and nephiPC and also entered all of these in to the “users” group).

After configuring SAMBA, I was able to map a network drive on almaPC to each of the shared directories on the server. However, when I tried to map drives on any subsequent workstation (moroniPC, mosiahPC and nephiPC), I received the Windows error message:

“The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different user name and password. To connect using a different user name and password, first disconnect any existing mappings to this network share.”

After clearing that message, I immediately get a second Windows message stating:

‘The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred:

Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user using more than one user name are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again”

I also tried to connect using a different user name (a valid user of the server with root privileges) and received the same message.

How did Bill Gates know that I was “the same user using more than one user name”? (Fingerprints from the keyboard matched to a gigantic dBase? That’s scary!) :x But that aside, what do I need to do so that all the workstations can map a drive to the shared directories on the server?

Here is a sample scripting for one of the shared directories:

[File Cabinet]

comment = Working Directory

path = /home/shared/working

write list = @users marvin

force group = @users

create mask = 0664

directory mask = 0775

Would the "create mask" and/or "directory mask" values have anything to do with this or is it solely a Win XP problem?

Thanks for your help

MJ

Got the same problem.

I think it is a Windows XP problem but I cannot see the reason why one should not be allowed to connect to the same server using different user names. Doesn't make sense to me...

MI

If you only have 2 different user names, you can trick XP.

For the first connection use the IP-address of the server, and for the second connection use its name.

This worked for me. You probably could also try to find a hack for the registry, so XP doesn't do the check.

MI