2 replies to this topic

#1 fire

fire

stranger

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 04:32 PM

Hello everyone,

I recently given Microsoft the boot and almost completely moved to linux. I have done this by installing the Blag Distro: see http://www.blagblagblag.org
(Blag is based on Red Hat 9 - and comes bundled with a bunch of Internet goodies including gaim...)

The only Windows functionality that I havent been able to replace thus far - is Video Conferencing via MSN with my friends and Family back home (I am living overseas right now)

I was wondering, do any instant messengers for linux have a video conferencing option like MSN does?

If so, please let me know - thanks
Also - if there are any development efforts in this area - send me the link as I too am a comp sci dude...

thanks

Fire

#2 danleff

danleff

Carpal Tunnel

• Moderators
  • 2903 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 09:42 PM

Do a Google search on amsn and gnomemeeting and look to see if video conferencing is supported. Can you install RedHat RPM packages in your distro?

#3 jebba

jebba

stranger

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 07:17 AM

BLAG comes with gnomemeeting, which is a netmeeting compatible video conferncing program.

If gnomemeeting wasn't installed when you did your initial install, you can download and and install it like this (run as root from command line):

apt-get update
apt-get install gnomemeeting

It will then be in the "Internet" menu item as "Video Conferencing"

You can also update your BLAG system by running:
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

This will sync you with the current release, 9002.

(BLAG uses both RPM and apt by the way)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq