Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HELLBRINGER

Switch to Switch connections (HELP!!!)

I just got another D-Link DSS-5+ Switch. The exact same one I already have. I now have two and am attempting to connect them together so I can have more people on my network. So far it as been unsucessful.

I have tried connecting a crossover cable from the uplink on one to the uplink on the other. That did not work. I also tried (even though its against my knowledge) to connect the crossover from the uplink to one to a regular port on the other.

I have also tried connecting a straight through cable from the uplink on one to a regular port on the other switch. That did not work, so again I tried against my knowledge to connect the straight through from the uplink on one to the uplink on the other.

None of them worked! Am I doing something wrong. I looked in the manual and what I did connecting a crossover from the uplink to the uplink on the other switch should work. Right?

Can a network expert help with this please?

Thank you in advance for you help.

Using a regular patch cable, connect from the uplink of one to a regular port on the other. That should do it. The uplink port is just a port that is already set to "crossover" the appropriate pins, and will then behave like a crossover cable. Also, check and make sure that the uplink port is set properly. There may be a button or switch to activate the use of that port (sometimes they share the same connection internally as the first or last port on the unit).

I will try it again but I already did that... Hmmm. And there is no switch or anything its a permanent uplink. It's a 5 port switch (thats what the box says) but its actually 6 if you cound the uplink. Which I was pleasantly surprised when I bought it.

Quote:
) but its actually 6 if you cound the uplink

Well... you can't count the uplink, usually; because the 1st port and the uplink port can't be used at the same time.

If it says 5 Port and there are 6, then that, I believe, is conclusive proof that you can't use the port right beside the uplink if you want to uplink.

Would not using that port help your testing? Or have you tried that?

Normally, the uplink is "linked" to another port on the unit. If you look, you might see a graphic of a line, drawn between the uplink port and the #1 port. If so, make sure to use ONLY the uplink port, and NOT the #1 port. If you try to use both, the unit may default to the #1 port and not permit communication via the uplink. The manual for the unit should explain this further if you need more information.

Yeah I found that out... You can use Port 1 while uplink is in use.

But I got it to work... Thanks... I think it was the cable. wink POS