Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NaughtyNu

Virtual Memory Settings

I'm curious as to what settings would be best for XP. I must admit that the default settings are a HELL of a lot better then any Win 9x default settings but I just wanted to get an idea from you longer using Win 2k/XP users

The ones the OS recommends are very good. Just make sure you're drive is defragged. I usually make mine at what it says and have the max double that, because I do a lot of heavy memory load intensive programs.

i use anywhere from 256-768MB ram in my systems, when i have 256mb, i set my pagefile to 200min, and 200max, works great. for 384+MB, you can disable the pagefile all together and not have any problems as long as you're not doing video editing or ram intensive stuff. If you have 128mb ram, just leave it at the "suggested by windows" setting, if you have 64mb ram, go buy more.

Well I had 448 megs before my board and stick of 128 fried on me. Now I'm down to 320 and this board has 3 slots for ram and not an extra 4th slot like the other board. I'd like to get another 128 or 256 for the slot the 64 meg one is sitting in but replacing the board and chip already made me broke smirk

well, you can try disabling the pagefile. if you have problems, then set it to 100min, 100max. that should work fine.