Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Uykucu

Yamaha CRW 2100||2200

Hi Guys.

I was wondering is anybody else having problems with the drives above. especially in the raw mode or for any fancy recording (bootable etc.) I use nero, Goldenhawk and Blind write. there always seems to be something wrong with the end products.

I also have EZ CD 5 but hated it.

I am fed up buying CD-R Software so any feedback would be appreciated.

I'm unable to write at a speed higher than 12x. 16x usually ends up in buffer underrun message. No fixes such as "enable DMA", "close ALL programs" or "reinstall Win2k "helped.

I have 128 MB of RAM.

I have 512 Mb ram with P3 1Ghz

i can seldomly burn at 16x. but when i do most of the other drives can not read it. And for some freak reason I can only do it with TDK blanks ;(

Also there seems to be something terribly wrong with raw mode writing.

I am using the latest firmware 1.0n

which firmware do you have?

What needs to be remembered that this is how BURNProof and Yamaha's implimentation of it works.

If it looks like it is going to buffer underrun the speed of write slows.

All these people who say 'Don't buy a CDRW unless it's got burnproof' don't realise that even though they can burn a CD and browse the net or play games at the same time they are infact probably writing at 2x speed to stop potential problems.

I've managed to burn coasters with a Plextor drive, Burnproof isn't the be all and end all of CDRW issues.

I have a Yamaha 16/10/40 SCSI CD-RW.

I also have a Pioneer SCSI DVD-ROM.

CD-CD copies never fail, even if I set the speed to 16x.

The 8MB buffer Yamaha provide, combined with me only using good quality media and Yamaha's system of slowing the write as and when needed give me this result.

When I'm copying from HD to CD (more often than CD-CD) I also have a high success rate, I'm writing from a fast RAID configuration to a SCSI CDRW.

At the moment there isn't such a thing as a 'perfect buring' drive or system, lets hope the next generation of drives are better.

SCSI based writing systems are as close as you'll get, but even theya ren't perfect.

Hi Blade Runner,

I suggest you look at your manual if you this drive. It ain't burnproof smile

If it was it did not need to have 8Mb buffer anyway. Coming to media I only use TDK myself. So it can not be that. I have a Toshiba DVD Rom and it works juuust fine. there is no problem at CD-CD.

However if the CD contains sh1t load of small files it occasionaly messes it up. (the recorder that is).

Now I have another system that runs on SCSI and has the same burner only SCSI it does not work either. same problem after burning people can not read the discs etc. It does not have a raid but it is dual P3 with UW SCSI2 smile so transfer rate is not the issue. My home machine is IDE and has 4xIBM DTLA 75 GB's. Transfer issue ruled out again.

And finally I very seldomly use RW. It works fine as far as I am concerned.

I know it isn't BurnProof.

However Yamaha use their own form of BurnProof in the drive, hence my statement on 'Yamaha's own implimentaion'.

Are you aware of what BurnProof is?

There isn't really anything magical about the technology.

All it does is if the buffer is filling, the write speed can be slowed, once the 'bottleneck' has been cleared the writing speed goes back up.

You select to write at 12x and the whole CD will be writen at any speed from 1x - 12x depending on what the PC is doing, how much disk activity is going on.

I've just never had an issue with the Yamaha.

It sits on an Adaptec 19160 along with my Pioneer DVD-ROM and my Internal Iomega ZIP drive.

Although I select 16x write I know that due to (I'll term it differently to avoid confusion) Yamaha's system of stopping buffer underruns the actual speed of write will vary from 16x down to maybe 2x if/when the buffer is filled or my HD's are being thrashed through other applications I use while I write.

This is really strange because the only time my drives do that is CDRW

On CD R they stick to whatever it is selected. And you might actually be confusing vector something writing.

It does spin up and down during the recording process but it depends on which area of disc it is burning not the buffer level. Since it is using CLV or something on the outer layers to keep a constant data stream. You can find the details on yamaha's page I believe. I did not pay much attention.

And also it doesn't make any differnce whatever i am surfing, running Cad or just left it idle.

I still get buffer underruns 1 in 10. My previous 8x4x32 yamah or even 4x4x12 HP weere more reliable than this.

I do believe it is something to do with the bios since there is a new one every month since it was released.

But whatever.

Burn-Proof drives are great! Real Burnproof drives can remember the spot on the disc where writin stopped and continue from that location. I've burned discs at 12x while playing Black and White with my Plextor.

Well that's the point I'm trying to make about BurnProof technology - it really isn't anything special.

While you were playing Black & White it is highly unlikely that the disk was being burnt at a constant 12x.

As Black & White started reading data from your HD's the actual write speed will have been slowed down.

So you really have two options:

1. Set the drive to write at 12x, it can then do a whole CD in about 10 minutes.

Leave it aloone, grab a coffee, job done.

or

2. Set the CD writing at 12x and continue to play games, CD will take longer to write as it slows and speeds up when other applications start using a lot of resources.

The way I see it, as I do with my Yamaha, is your better off just setting the write going and grabbing a coffee.

At 16x write the whole disk can be written in about 7 minutes and I can then play games without risking a coaster or taking up resources from applications that need it.

Low on resources? Whats that? Hehe... I usually use my Orb drive for making images of CD's to be copied. All 4 IDE drives in use at the same time, and CD's still only take 6 minutes to make. laugh

Burnproof burns at a constant rate, and if the buffer runs out, it stops writing and comes back to the place where it stopped when it has data again.

For some reason my drive decided to work fine since last week. only thing that changed is the bios of MB.

I can burn 16x on the fly no problem even CD's with thousands of small files.

I don't have all these latest macines. i'm just having a cheap LG 8x4x23. but when i use cursor cd-r's it won't work on some CD_ROM drives. Even i had this problem with Maxell and BASF.

what makes that happen. can anybody explain to a newbie! (with no BIG words please, bu not too small neither! laugh ) thax! wink

Well it looks like I'm really not going to be able to get my real point accross.

All I can say is "Hats off to the BURNProof marketing guru's" because they have done their job and a lot of people think it's the be all and end all of technology's and think that only drives that use it are good and the rest are rubbish.

It reminds me of 3-4 years ago when people would only buy PC's with an Intel Inside badge on the front, Intel marketed well and nobody wanted a PC without that badge.

I have seen situations with BURNProof where you start a disk burning, gets to 5% start playing a game.

Exit game and CD is still burning and has reached 10%.

BURNProof isn't the amazing super technology that a lot of people seem to think it is - it's just a way of slowing and/or stopping a burn should problems occur - it isn't some super special technology that means you'll never burn a coaster again.

No it seems you do not have the ability to understand what this is about...

I just asked in the first place if anybody else was having problems. Which they were. We are not here to listen to what you think is best etc.

I am repeating again. This drive is (or the one you claim to have) not burnproof. It does waste CD's and this is not due to low resources and such.

We are not here to show off our machines, or use the config as signatures. I asked a question and nobody qualified has answered because they did not have the drive or something so what. drop the subject bladerunner. I have seen some of your posts!

Oh I am just so sorry Uykucu.

I'll start by asking, do you mind if I type another reply to this thread?

I'm only asking your permission because I'd hate to think I was stepping on your shoes or attempting to butt in to YOUR thread.

You seem like the classic "I'm right, you're all wrong - fingers in my ears if you don't agree with me" kind of guy.

I do have one other question mind, who died and made you god?

I am just so sorry if from my personal experience, and when I say experience I mean having used the product in question what I have experienced is totally different to you, but of course that would be the products fault wouldn't it?

That's right, the Yamaha must be sh*t because YOU are having problems with it, damn all those that aren't.

I know that the Yamaha IS NOT BURNProof and again the point I am attempting to make, the point and part where your fingers go in to your ears is that BURNProof is nothing special and does not guarantee perfect writes everytime without problems, it just aids in the problem.

I am so sorry, you are obviously right, how could you be possibly wrong eh?

If you like I'll send all my future posts to you before posting them publicly, that way we can make sure they agree with you before anybody else reads them.

Well you've got the totally wrong idea.

My first recorder was a 1x Philips that cost $5000, and i always had Yamaha and HP since. (HP is actually philips and yamaha with better firmware etc.)

I am not claiming the drive is bad or anything. I ordered 3 more of the same drive and tested it. They were all the same. But they worked fine on some other systems in the office. I was just trying to get the facts why it might cause problems. and I did in the end.

The reason I flashed on you is your reply was completely unrelated to the topic...

If it was burnproof something topic yes your replies would have been appropriate.

Take Care.

PS. I am always open to suggestions, but only people that i know to know their stuff. We always exchange ideas with my friends and couple of other IT consultants. you have to because you can not know everything nor are you always right...