Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rgodart

Anyone having luck with the highpoint 366 controller in win2

I got a abit be6-2 rev 1 with highpoint controller 366 for udma 66.

My harddrive is a maxtor udma 100.

First i tried the maxtor on the hpt366 controller with official bios and drivers from abit: both version 1.25

But windows freezes every now and then.

Then i tried beta bios and beta drivers 1.28, from abit's ftp.

Windows doesn't freeze anymore, the drive works fine, but DAMN SLOW! (not pissed at anyone here :), except highpoint.

I benchmarked with sisoft sandra: maxtor drive on the 440BX UDMA 33 controller gives a drive index of 18799, maxtor drive on hpt366 gives only 8248!!!! What the ******* hell is hpt thinking??? it seems they are not doing anything to fix this, cuz the drivers haven't been updated since january 1...

Has anyone managed to get the hpt366 controller to work fine in win2k?

Thanks.

I did have the original BE6, and my dad still uses it without problems. If I'm not mistaken, you're not supposed to install the chipset busmaster drivers along with the Highpoint drivers.

Make sure you have SP2 installed which has support for UDMA (ATA100), but I thought it should be enabled on teh card itself. In device manager does it say your drives are SCSI or IDE? If they say IDE the SP should work if it says they are SCSI (even if they are really IDE) I would suspect it is the drivers.

It says SCSI in device manager. I'm pretty sure it is the driver, cuz with lower drive versions my drive works like a udma 66, but it gives random crashes. It can go from 2 minutes to a few hours... in the latest beta drivers highpoint fixed incompatibility for the harddrive i have (maxtor 7200 rpm 30 gig udma 100) but it seems they messed up the transfer rate... But then again, those drivers are still beta... since january tho... I affraid they're finished up[censored] drivers for the hpt366 chipset frown I would have liked to keep my be6-2 a little longer, i love this card :-)

Maybe i'll put in some promise udma 100 pci card someday.

I've heard that Promise addd on cards preform better than High point. I personally have a Promise PCI ata 100 card and have a 40gig maxtor ata 100 5400rpm and get just over ATA 66 results in Sisoft sandra and no crashes in win2k/winXP. I think if my maxtor was 7200 rpm I would get close to the ata 100 results in sisoft since my western digital 20gig ata 100 is 7200 rpm and exceeds sisofts ata 100 benchmark.

Use either the 1.23 or 1.26 drivers.

The 1.25's seem to crash nt and the 1.28 are bloody pathetic.

I hope this reply isn't too late...

Oh and.. I would suggest you get the 1.26's because I'm am using them right now and I can assure you that they work great. I had previously had the 1.28 drivers installed and it was worse than having my hd running on udma33..

The 1.26 drivers or the 1.23s aren't on the highpoint website for some strange reason...

but.. you can get them here:

ftp://ftp.abit.com.tw/pub/beta/be6-ii(HPT366)/driver/1.26.0

make sure to grab the w2k126.exe file.

Sounds like you allready know how to install them...

Good luck.

Thank you! I was thinking of trying those drivers once. Did you upgrade your bios to 1.26 too or did you just use the official 1.25 bios?

A few days ago i tried drivers 1.23 but then win2k didn't even want to boot.

Anyway, i'll give the 1.26 a try today and i'll post back here.

Well 1.26 doesn't work. Windows stops booting just after the loading screen (with the "built on nt technology" thingy).

So i guess i'll have to stick to ata33 for a while.

I'm using the 1.25 HPT366 drivers and I haven't had any problems with speed. I'm running an original BE6 so maybe something in the BE6-2 was changed.

I think it's more related to the type of harddrive you use with the hpt. i'm using a maxtor ata100, and i've seen in the readme of beta drivers 1.28 they just fixed the incompatibility with my HD. The only problem is they made the drivers freaking slow smile

I'm using a Western Digital UDMA66 45GB and a Maxtor 15GB UDMA100 and all works good. The BETA drivers only fix incompatibilities with IBM Deskstar drives.

i have an SIIG ultra ata 66 that uses the highpoint technologies drivers for win2k and eveything works perfectly. when i was installing it up, i just put in the floppy with the downloaded drivers, win installed them and that was that.

lotus

I "was" getting win2k to work with the 1.26 drivers.. but.. I would always get a blue screen of death whenever I would do something that required quite a bit of use of the hd, like burning a cd, moving a large file, or running a benchmark.

I tried many different drivers... all of which would give me 1 of the 2 results that I would get.

The first is the blue screen of death...

The other is not being able to even get into win2k (it would hang at the "built on nt technology" thing)

I had the latest bios installed. Then.. I tried an older bios. Pv... same problems with the drivers... but.. 1.23 worked! and is working perfectly.

I tried 1.23.1 before that and it resulted in the blue screen of death while using the hd too much.

but not 1.23

it works flawlessly.

So.. what I'm trying to say is that 1.23.1 and 1.23 are very different drivers.

And.. my solution for the be6 is the PV bios and the 1.23 drivers.

but the be6-2 I'm not sure about. If it works the same.. try the RV bios and the 1.23 drivers.

or possibly the SH bios and the 1.23 drivers

So basically... you have to find the right combination of bios and drivers... and they aren't going to be the newest versions of either.

And probably the 1.23 drivers will be the ones... with either the RV or SH bios.

That's all I can think of right now. Man... the hpt366 causes alot of grief. But.. If you have time, don't give up hope.

You can get every abit bios and driver on this ftp: ftp://64.14.108.51

Uhhhh dude something must be messed up with your config because I'm running a BE6 w/ latest BIOS and latest official HPT366 drivers and NO problems at all.

What harddrive you using grim?

Hmm... Maybe it's different for everyone.

But, I'm pretty sure the latest bios and drivers would work, but.. the latest drivers (1.28) are slow, Very slow.

I had them installed on win98se.

Oh... and My HD is a quantum fireball ka(I think it's ka) 9.1g 7200

I have the BE6 rev 1.01 and everything is running great with the highpoint 1.25 drivers. I never installed any chipset bustmaster drivers also. dont even know where to get those

Guys I have a abit BE6 rev 1.01 with latest bios and running highpoint drivers 1.25 in Win2k and all is well with my WD 20.5 gig UDMA-66 5400rpm HD but I have just bought a new IBM Deskstar 75GXP 45 gig 7200rpm drive. Do I need to update my Highpoint drivers.