rgodart

Weird problems with 3dmark 2000 and 2001 on AMD TBIRD 1.3 gi

A friend of mine (unfortunately i only have a P3 800 :)) has following system:

Athlon 1.3 gig

ASUS KT266

Hercules geforce 2 pro

sblive value

512 MB of pc133 ram

win2k pro sp2 with AMD patch from ms and AMD, via drivers 4.32 and detonators 12.40

When he tries to install 3dmark 2000 the setup just stops and gives him an error (sorry i don't know what the error says). When he installs 3dmark 2001 all goes fine during the setup, but when he does a benchmark his computer reboots and then says: "disk boot failure". Then he does a reset and it boots fine.

Anyone had this problem on that kind of system?

Could it be related to the UDMA 100? It's really the only thing that i can see that causes this problem.

Thanks

If you've got the Promise ATA100 controller, make sure you have the latest drivers for it. You may also want to check to see if there is a new offical BIOS too for the board.

Just to make sure you got the patch here:

http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/athlon-duron/amd_win2k_patch.html

You may also want to check out the hard drives. I heard IBM had a bad batch a little while ago too.

Another thing I can think of is about running the repair option off the Win2k CD.

FYI: Boot off the CD and choose the repair option instead of the install. Follow the directions which don't need a repair disk or you to find the install.

If you are using Hercules drivers, just use the Nvidia reference drivers instead. For some reason, I've had problems with Hercules drivers.

If you could get that error message for 3dmark2000, that would be great!

Try to get more info on this, as it's a little vauge, and with more info, I'm sure one of the bright minds here can figure it out.