Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mattdaddyz

acoustic edge in winxp? popping anyone?

hey i've got a philips acoustic edge and i just installed XP (upgrade from win2k).. i'm REALLY impressed with this OS, it took all my 2k drivers and is using them perfectly, i have no problems with anything... except, my acoustic edge seems to pop/crack/sizzle, whatever you wanna call it, whenever i make a sound (like the start menu pop up).. for some reason it doesn't hapeen in winamp or when i play games, but it happens when i play dvds in intervideo windvd 2000.. anyone else have the acoustic edge popping problem? anyone know how to work around it?

I have this card and I'm about to swap it back for my sblive *UNTIL* there are better winxp drivers.

My solution for the crackling was to turn off windows sounds so it's silent. Aside from that there are no fixes for it apart from waiting for new drivers or ms to possibly fix it.

The crackling is the least of your problems, anachronox in winxp with the acoustic edge is a nightmare, check this out:

win2k & Anachronox(which absolutely rocks)

eax sound = crashing occasionally, usually between level loads

a3d = didn't play long enough with it on as the sounds seemed too loud and out of place

no 3d sound = barely crashes and works good

When I say crash I refer to Anano.exe generating errors

WinXP + Anachronox

eax = crash on load or 2 seconds in or 20 minutes in, competely random

a3d = didn't bother

no 3d sound = didn't seem to change much in terms of randomly crashing.

I'll be swapping my sblive back in tonight and i'm sure that will make the game stop crashing in winXP.

If not i'll come back here and post otherwise.

But aside from that I haven't really had any issues with dvd playback, ripping, mp3, games or divx audio.

Here's hoping philips isn't lazy *** with their drivers.

thanks for the post man... i'm starting to think that maybe i should switch my live value back if i continue using xp.. i mean it's not THAT big of a deal, but i'm with ya on the last thing you said.. i hope philips isn't lazy about their drivers.. i hope they continue to update and support the acoustic edge.. i hear that they are real committed to that card, all i know is that the sound quality absolutely ownz the sb live value

Ok well Anachronox issue wasn't the Philips card as it does the same with the live but at least there are no odd noises =)

Wuhoo Turtle beach has come out with SantaCruz Drivers for XP. No more sound problems for me. Hopefully some people will come out with drivers for their cards now that RC1 is out.