• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 munzer

munzer

stranger

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 12:45 AM

guys... i am super ultra newbie in linux... and i download a file... and i dont; know how to run it... can any one help...? this is it under

#2 Dapper Dan

Dapper Dan

Pooh-Bah

• Moderators
  • 1703 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 01:40 AM

Depending on what distro you are running, (mdk 9.2?) It should already be installed. To find out, open a terminal and type:

xmms [enter]

Did it come up? If so, it should be in your menu somewhere. smile

#3 jimf43

jimf43

enthusiast

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 02:50 AM

From the link you gave: http://dubaix.l1h.net/Screenshot.png
It looks that you have RedHat. just double click on the rpm and the package manager should install. However, as Dan says, this should already be in your menu. Look there first!

#4 Dapper Dan

Dapper Dan

Pooh-Bah

• Moderators
  • 1703 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 03:03 AM

I think he's using Fedora, in which case Xmms is listed in Sound & Video as "Audio Player."

#5 Vermyn

Vermyn

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 04:37 AM

Someone should point out that he downloaded a SRC RPM. You want RPM only, not SRC RPM if you plan to install by double-clicking.

#6 outstream

outstream

journeyman

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 03:54 PM

munzer xmms is already installed in ur system. to run it simply open terminal and type xmms [enter] as told by Dapper Dan
however u have to download and install the plugin for xmms to run mp3 files, because that support doesnt comes with it originally.

download the plugin for xmms from following url

http://havardk.xmms....2.7-21.i386.rpm

download it and install it using following command

rpm -Uvh xmms-mpg123-1.2.7-21.i386.rpm [enter]

after this open xmms and enjoy the sound of disco smile

and yeah, please dont type [enter], just use the enter key wink

#7 matttah

matttah

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 06:39 AM

There are a few basic ideas for ou for reference...one is there are a few websites that you should know..rpmfind.net and freshrpms.net both are good for red hat users....when you search on rpmfind just make sure oyu get the rpm file not src one...and the correct one for your system...in mine it is always highlighted...it would be called Red hat 9.0 under the sytem...also here are some basic commands...all in terminal
su -makes you root
rpm -i [file name] -makes it install
rpm -Uvh [file name]- make it update
yum check-update -checks up dates and list them for your system, use this instead of up2date
yum update -updates all the available packages
yum install -y [package name] -installs the packages with answering yse to all install questions the package name is obtained from the get update list
i think that is some of the basics.....i'll work on getting a few post to a large tutorial of commands for you but atm not spending much time on web, on vacation at whistler.
oh and fedoranews.org has some nice tutorials

Daum

#8 idud

idud

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 11:59 AM

Hi everybody, I'm new here.

About munzer's problem, why don't you all tell him (or her?) how to compile the application. He looks like downloaded the source code.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq