Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CyberDoc999

Netscape version 6 and 6.1 does not Install under windows XP

Netscape sucks, thats why, ever since 4.xx's they have sucked bad, i don't blame windows for not wanting to install it.

:-)

Up until Netscape 3 it was the best browser available.

Then, suddenly IE4 hit the market and there was no competition.

IE4 wiped the floor with Netscape at the time and due to Netscape's bad Jave implimentation and still an inability to correctly display some very valid HTML tage, it really is bad!

I can also quite safely bet that it isn't MS's fault Netscape wont install, rather Netscape's fault.

Send them a bug report - they'll want to try and get it working, they need to improve on there, what 15% of the browser market?

Do not install Netscape 6 or 6.1 i have had both installed on my win2k systems and they did nothing but crash and lock up after i installed NS6. If you want a better mozilla browser that works get the opens source mozilla. Or better yet Opera is a great browser different to work with but it works great.

sigh.. i used to support Netscape too.. but ... they are just not keeping their good work like they used to..

or

they did work hard, but Microsoft have put something in windows to make netscape sucks too

Netscape has supposively abandoned the browser market, tucked it's tail between it's legs, and moved on to media applications.

Netscape is dead outside of linux.

Hell, MS has IE for MAC.

MS didn't screw up with IE....it's integration into the OS is their right--they're both their applications.

That integration + the fact that it was generally better than netscape, sealed NS's fate

Well, i don't know what you guys are doign wrong.

Although netscape does suck, i usually needed it to make sure web sites came out okay for both IE and Netscape.

I have insatlled Netscape 6/6.1 and previous versions (always put in the latest version) on 2k /2k server /adv server / Nt4 /98SE , and now XP, i never had any installation problems, nor has it ever froozen my comp. The only thing i really hate about NS is it's dam hour long load up time!

If you don't like the AOL garbage, install Mozilla instead. It's much more stable the Netscape 6 in its current version cos Netscape 6.1 is based on the 0.9.1 build of Mozilla (Mozilla is almost at 0.9.5) and doesn't have the extra AOL "goodies".

And I think you'll find it works just fine under XP.

Are you kidding? Netscape 6.1 installs and works just fine under XP smile I have both IE and Netscape installed since some sites may not support them both.

Well I think that the original post was looking for suggestions on why netscape might not be installing right. For me it installed without a hitch on my XP. But i eventualy got rid of it becasue of many of the reasons listed above. Netscape was good while itwas making money with its browser, but ever since microsoft introduced IE and gave it away FREE netscape has been going downhill. Funny how money makes the world go round. Just think if microsoft hadn't integrated IE then we would all be paying for our browsers, well most of us. How is one suposed to use the internet with a new OS if it doesnt have a browser on it? They would have to pay for it. SO we all owe microsoft that much, about $20. LOL