Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Uykucu

Cyberlink Power DVD on High Res

Hi,

When i am watching a DVD (more like trying) on Cyberlink it comes up with

Your Current Display Mode is not supported, Please lower your resolution!!!

Now I am running 17" CRT on a 64MB GeForce 2 with the res. 1280x1024x32Bpp @ 85Hz

If I lower it to 1024x768 it works. But it is annoying all my icons move around etc. WinDVD works fine at this res but it is the crappest Soft DVD player I have ever seen in my life.

Has anybody else has the same prob? Is there a workaround???

DVD playback uses an overlay. Any graphic processing power granted to high resolution (more than 1024x768) is simply lost to the DVD. The same applies to color depth. The screen comes out true color even if the graphic card is set a 4, 8 or 16 bit color. 800x600 at 16 bit is probably best.

All DVD playback is 24 bit true color through sharing of color samples on 4 pixels transferred to an overlay inserted in the analog VGA signal downstream from graphic hardware through pixel replacement called colorkey.

Check paragraphs 3.4, 4.1, 4.4 and 4.6 in DVD FAQ, June 22, 2001:

http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#3.5

I found Power DVD 3.0 the most unsatisfactory DVD program for Windows 2000. I have full versions from four different sources (coming with Sony DVD, Hercules Geforce 3, etc.) and they are all worthless.

Mostly they have been optimized to install on Windows 98 & Millenium.

The setup files can even terminally destroy DirectDraw capability under Windows 2000 by applying Microsoft DXTXTRA.EXE indiscriminately. Then you are left to reintall Windows 2000.

Erase registry regional code registry key, the first bizarre line in HKLM, software, Microsoft, to be able to change regional code in Windows 2000 if the DVD reader is not hardware locked:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ ,x%"/ ]

My conclusion: on a dual boot system, set Intervideo WinDVD under Windows 2000 and set Cyberlink PowerDVD under Windows 98 or Me.

Yes but I do not use dual boot. And I am not insisting on higher Resolution for the sake of better picture since it is not. My problem is If I wanna watch a dvd I either have to change res. or use winDVD which picture quality is verry bad.

I had no problem with cyberlink, Except this. The same problem does not exist in W98Se but...

Anyway is there any other SW player you would recommend. preferably a trial one that i can try before buying???

I...uh...obtained a copy of Power DVD 3.0 and it works great under Win2k. All other versions before it didn't work, or work well, under Win2k.

Power DVD and WinDVD are about the best you can get. The other alternative, is to not uninstall the DVD player, and use the Win2k DVD player. You need to have an actual decoder card or software, or it won't play. If I remember correctly, the app is DVDPlay in the System 32 folder.

My destop res is 1152x864x32 bit on a GF2 MX, and it works with PowerDVD 3 just fine.

Anyone know what that new PowerDVD 3 VR-X is? and what the changes are etc?

Thx Silent.

It appears to be a problem with the detonator drivers.