Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
oozle

Operation flashpoint demo and win2k

I have a weird problem. When I start the OF demo, all the logos are completely distorted and after sometime, my machine locks up and then causes a memmory dump. It then restarts my machine.

OK, don't laugh. I am using an ATI RAGE PRO, p3 650, 256 RAM and win2k, DX 8.0a. I am using a modified version of the IBM 5020 Rage Mobility drivers for win2k.

However, when I use any other drivers, the game runs fine.

The reason I want to use the IBM drivers is that they display textures in all other games perfectly.

SO, why does this happen with only these drivers with Operation Flashpoint. This is the only game which does this and so must be a game related problem - not driver related. PLEASE HELP.

The demo is only really a work in progress. The final game has changed significantly over what you see in the demo.

Can you buy the game from somewhere that will let you return it for no real reason? EB run this kind of scheme, so you could at least try the real game.

I got myself a copy of the full version and the same problem. This is the strangest thing I have ever experienced. There must be some fault in the programming of OF. I am sure it is not a driver related problem.

You're using modified drivers and you have a problem with the game. You change the drivers and the game works. How can you then say thet fault lies with the game and not the drivers?

If changing the drivers fixes the problems, then the modified drivers are obviously the cause of the problem. The game must be making various Direct X calls that the modifed drivers cannot handle. If the game was making illegeal Direct X calls, then the game would show these problems on a large number of computer systems.

I think you are either going to have to change driver revisions or get a different video card to solve this.