Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
[GNG]John Woo

Abit KT7A & 1400 T-Bird!!!!!! HELP!!!

This mofo keeps locking up on me when it hits 50 celcius. What is the maximum temp that these things should stay stable at? (I can recreate the problem at anytime simply by running Diablo II, CPU hog, it runs CPU usage to the roof...) and my system jumps from 36-38 cel right to 45-47 celcius in seconds. Then it slowly rises to the 50's and bang! A screen freeze.

Anybody?

Is there an amd approved heatsink/fan on there?

If not id suggest getting one.

BUT

The point is that it shouldnt lock when it hits 50 deg C

My 1.2 Ghz runs at an average of 46 degrees and it sometimes climbs to above 50 without any hitch.

Maybe the chip is funked.

Its not OC'd right?

If it is...turn it back to stock settings, im assuming your just running its at 1.4 GHz.

It could be a combination of a bunch of things, ambient temps, fan on heatsink has crapped out, heatsink is not 'flat' on the bottom/thermal grease is not there. I suggest a jmc Arctic freeze plus HSF, it has a strip of copper for good heat conductivity and a pretty decent fan on it.

Id check with amd about this first, see if it is normal for this chipset to be locking at that moderate temp.

I agree totally with CrazyKillerMan - so make sure your HSF is fitted correctly and working effectively.

Don't forget to have a read of my previous post in these forums dealing with the KT7A, as I have found some KT7A BIOS settings actually make the system VERY unstable and should be disabled (as per the KT7A's user manual/BIOS defaults).

I have a 1.33Ghz Athlon CPU which runs perfectly at 1.4GHz (10x 140FSB) providing I feed it about 1.80 Volts, as at default voltage (1.75) it will 'freeze' after a short time of 100% load. However at the default speed of 1.33GHz (10x 133FSB) it runs perfectly even at a lowly 1.70 volts (which also drops the max CPU temp down to about 47C even at 100% CPU load).

I tested my 1.33GHz CPU stability by running 2 instances of Quake 2 running in software mode in 640x480 windows, and then started up 3DMark 2001 running in a continuous demo loop at 1024x768x32. I ran this test for 10 hours whilst I was at work and when I got home the machine was still running the workload perfectly! CPU temp had peaked at 47C (according to MBM 5.04) and thats with the ATX case ON and using just a Volcano II HSF (AMD approved).

Some CPUs are better than others, so you may have a CPU which just managed to fluke it pass the 1.4GHz AMD tests, where as other 1.4GHz AMD CPUs may have no problems at 1.5GHz or maybe even more.