Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
macawgumbo

Upgrading to kernel 2.6.x in Fedora Core 1? NFORCE2 ?'s too!

1. 1. Sharepoint migration 2010

• Migrating to Sharepoint 2010

I want to upgrade my kernel to 2.6.x on an NForce2 mobo with IGP graphics. I need some help with upgrade process and need to know if the unified driver tarball from NVIDIA's website will work along with my ethernet.

Help with (hopefully i this order)

1. Upgrade from 2.4.x to 2.6.x in Fedora Core 1 running athlon xp 2500 on NFORCE2

2. Install 3D drivers for better performance on my IGP Geforce4 MX

3. Install Forcedeth if better than nvidia's driver

4. Install ALSA sound if better than nvaudio

Also, I did a complete install of all the packages available in install (5.3GB) will all these work with 2.6.x or will it be a nightmare fixing version mismatch errors?!

The last that I looked, the only NVIDIA drivers that were compatible with the 2.6.0 kernel were the video drivers. The chipset drivers may not have caught up yet with the new kernels. What does the NVIDIA website say?

Why the rush getting the 2.6 kernel? Why not use 2.4 until all the issues with 2.6 are relatively straightened out and then upgrade?

I'm running the 2.6.1 kernel on an Nvidia-based system with no problems. It IS worth the upgrade - it runs WAY faster and smoother than 2.4.

Nvidia has video drivers that support the 2.6 kernel on their website. As for the mobo itself - s/b no problems

Quote:
The last that I looked, the only NVIDIA drivers that were compatible with the 2.6.0 kernel were the video drivers. The chipset drivers may not have caught up yet with the new kernels. What does the NVIDIA website say?

nVidia only ever provided sound and LAN drivers for nForce chipsets under Linux and with ALSA (which has supported nForce chipsets for ages) built into the kernel and a patch (and later, a fully open source reverse engineered LAN driver which I believe has actually been merged into the kernel now) for the LAN driver you didn't really need to use the nVidia drivers (unless of course you had an nVidia video card, there were patches for the drivers there too). I've been using my nForce board (an EPoX 8RDA+) under Linux for nearly a year now and under both kernels 2.4 and 2.6 haven't had any major compatibility dramas with it.