Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CrazyKillerMan

Quick cooling question

Best cpu cooler for price/efficiency/noise ratio.

Throw the opinions.....gots an amd 1.2 GHz running ave about 45 degrees now.....need better cooling...

I have just setup a 1.33Ghz Athlon and I can assure you they run HOT!

I was going to use the Global Win FOP-38 but after hearing its 7000rpm fan I decided my ears could do without the damage and instead I opted for a Volcano II HSF. So far I'm happy with its performance and its low-noise level.

p.s. the FOP-38 could be mistaken for a Boeing 747, but hard-core overclockers seem to love them!

I came across a great HS/Fan combo for my PIII 1Ghz.

Like you I wanted to keep the noise down as low as possible so a delta fan was out of the question.

The solution I used wasn't cheap, but it's quiet and cools very well.

I bought a Thermalright SK6 Copper Heatsink and attached an 80mm YS-TECH fan to it.

Very good temperatures and oh so quiet.

I'd say thats the only real option. If you need high perfomance cooling with low noise, you have to use an 80mm fan.

Ack!!

Me bad, me very bad.

I actually have a 60mm YS-TECH fan on my SK6.

I've heard a lot about using an 80mm fan on HS, but that looked like a bit of hassle :-)

The 60mm YS-TECH fan is good and quite quiet, it is the nosiest fan in my system (The 2 Power Supply fans & 6 case fans are very quiet) but still not really a problem on the ears.

Hmm. I must say I'm currently looking to replace my HSFs atm too. The FOP-38s are quite cheap, but the nosy elment does concern me. The SR-6 looks quite good, but very expensive, and for similar performance, the ThermalEngine seems a good alternative.

Then there is the OCZ Gladiator, but I don't know of anywhere that sells them in the UK, and they'll probably be noisy too. So. Go for FOPs and change the fan, or ThermalEngines... ??

btw Crazy, a friend of mine has a 1.2GHz Althon, and there system is running at around 60C! So think yourself lucky. heh - he's currently got a ThermalEngine on order.

If you're not doing much OCing, I think the Volcano II would be OK. It cool fairly well, isn't loud at all and can be had for under $10. It took my P!!! 500E@700 from 105/115F with the original Golden Orb to 95/105F. By no means te best cooler int he world, but for $12 it's pleased me.

-bZj

I originally had a FOP-38 and replaced the Delta fan with a YS-TECH 60mm.

That certainly dropped the noise but wasn't overly-impressive as a cooler, that's why I then moved over to a copper HS.

Hmm. So Blade, you reckon a copper HS is the way to go? and thats with the high powered delta (6800RPM)? Isn't that noisy too?

I've just read that putting a higher power fan onto an ORB (in some shape or fashion), can greatly improve its performance. I was thinking I'd try that... maybe this new StormFan thing might help me (I currently have GORBS).

I guess I'll wait for a review and some other ppls opinions on the matter. I might 'balance' a higher powered fan on top of mine and see what happends.

I bought a Taisol 760 cooler for my P3 1GHz. It has a copper block to absorb heat from the CPU core, and the rest is aluminium to disipate that heat faster. It knocked 10°C off of my loadv temps compared to the OEM HSF.

I'm running it using the stock 60mm fan which is a rebadged Delta. It's farily quiet though.

I have an 80mm fan adapter, and tried a range of 80mm fans on the heatsink, but they really didn't make much difference. For it to be effective, it needs to be able to draw more cool air over the heatsink. Without moding your case with ducting or additional blow holes, it's a bit tricky to do.

I have a review of the 760 and a fan adapter on my site at www.philspcmods.com if you're interested.

Nah, I went for a copper HS without a Delta fan.

www.overclockers.co.uk sell the Thermalright SK6 in two flavours.

One with a 60mm Delta and one with a 60mm YS-TECH.

The YS-TECH is being very good, I get to about 45oC under full load and that's with a fair amount of heat inside my system (I've got 4 HD's).

I expect the SK6 with a delta would be even better, but for say 4-5oC difference I'll go for the 'saving of my ears' the YS-TECH fans are pretty quiet.

WOW

thanx for the opinions guys....but i didnt go with any of you!!!

HAHAHAH

jk

went with a jmc Atric Wind Plus

dont have it yet, but it has been ordered, ill tell you guys how it is!

I think I'll go with your choice Blade, SR-6 with a YS fan.. hmm.. expensive though!

Hey, anyone know where I can buy a HD cage from? I want to put some more disks in my case higher up near the back.

well if your REALLY into overclocking try passive immersion. Yes folks passive immersion, just get some motor oil a container large enough to hold your mobo and cards, and then find a place for your HDs and Cd-roms and there ya go. Now you will get the cooling you always wanted.

Of course, how you setup the fans in the case also can help to cool it. I have a ton of fans, and I'm thinking I've got a bit of overkill on it with the sheer amount I've crammed into it.

As long as you've got a good HSF and some good thermal paste, you should be very good to go.

I've heard good things about the Thermo Engine, and the Thermaltake Dragon Orb 3.

I just bought a 1.2Ghz Athlon and I decided to go with the Tai Sol CGK742092B HS/Fan. Here's a pic, what do you all think?

TaiSol.jpg

I've heard very good things about the Tai Sol HSF's.

Friend of mine bought one and he is very happy with it.

Case fans do help, but you need to be carefull with air flow or else you end up with fans working against each other.

Also, once you get some 80mm or bigger fans in the case your also looking at a much noiser system.

I have a Globalwin 820 case with 6 case fans.

1 at the front sucking air in, two down the side opposit the motherboard sucking air in.

I've then got 1 fan at the back and two on the top of the case all pushing air out.

I've also get an Enermax power supply, so that's another fan blowing stright down onto the HSF and one pushing hot air out of the back.

The 6 case fans I have are Evercool's, they don't push quite as much air around as the originally supplied 6x 80mm YS-TECH fans, but these fans are really quiet.

My whole system with 6 case fans, 2 power supply fans, 1 CPU fan and 1 Video Card fan is really quite quiet when you consider how much air is being pushed around.

Yeah, I've got one 80mm fan in the front drawing in air, and then another 80mm fan in the back pushing air out...Then there is the power supply fan of course. I think my computer will be a little warm, but it shouldn't really cause me many problems.

Quote:

I just bought a 1.2Ghz Athlon and I decided to go with the Tai Sol CGK742092B HS/Fan. Here's a pic, what do you all think?

Personally I'd have picked the Taisol 760 (which, stangely enough, I did :)). The 760 has a lump of copper in the bottom which improves its performance no end.

The 742 is a reasonable HSF though, I just hope you're not planning on clocking your CPU too much as it probably cope with all the extra heat.

Well, I bought a copper CPU spacer as well, that should improve heat transmission...well, hopfully.

The shim will help prevent you crushing the CPU core when fitting the heatsink, but isn't likely to make that much difference to your temps.

If your thermistor is under the CPU socket, make sure you bend it up a bit before fitting the CPU. That way it will touch the bottom of the CPU when fitted and give you slightly more accurate temp readings.

Installed the jmc without a hitch.

My ave temp prior, using the stock HSF that amd supplies was 45 deg C.

Now, with the JMC in place it has dropped to 39 deg C.

With the A7M266 hack in place, the temp sometimes when idel goes below 30 deg C!!!