Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
apacheark

kde 3.2 for Mandrake 9.1

Hi all,

I just joined linux compatible. I have been using linux for a couple of years and now I use mandrake 9.1. I am no guru and I use it simply to get work done. However, now I would like to try out kde 3.2 but have not been able to find any rpms for Mandrake 9.1. As I am quite happy with mdk9.1, I don't want to go upgrading to 9.2 or 10 beta or some such.

Does someone know a place to download the mdk9.1 kde3.2 rpms?

Thanks much.

I took a quick look around and did not find any 9.1 rpm´s, which means that they may not have been developed yet.

Just be aware that KDE 3.2 may muck up your RedHat menu system somewhat, such as quick access to your control settings in Mandrake.

I would keep an eye on this site and see if someone compiles some RPM´s.

Usually KDE does not make binary rpm´s, but relies on others to do so.

apacheark,

I understand that you are not a guru, but is compiling the kde 3.2 sources out of the question? It should be a simple "./configure;make;make install" and as long as all of your libs are up to date you'll be fine. I did this on debian because last I heard, Debian SID was only on 3.1.4 or something. I compiled fine, althoug I haven't used Mandrake since 8.0 so I'm not sure about your system. Fedora can handle KDE 3.2 just fine as well considering that I am using it as I type this. If you need anything let me know.

Regards,

Steve

He could also go to the KDE 3.2 web page and use Konstruct. which installs from source.

The thing to remember, is that it is wise to install from Gnome or a console, to properly set KDE up.

http://developer.kde.org/build/konstruct/

BTW, there is KDE 3.2 for Debian Woody in the news archive. I have to see where that is at, since I also have Debian Woody.

http://www.linuxcompatible.org/story26261.html

and sid;

http://www.linuxcompatible.org/story26270.html

While it is true that I am no Linux whiz, I feel confident enough to try and compile kde3.2 myself. Thanks for the tips to use Gnome to do the compile/install and to try konstruct.

Will let y'all know how it goes.

Cheers.

Hi again folks.

I went ahead and compiled kde 3.2 on Mandrake 9.1 using konstruct. I had a braodband connection so, downloading all those tar files didn't take so long for me.

Bottom line: It works and works pretty well. I haven't had much chance to play with all the goodies though.

Compiling Notes for MDK9.1:

1) You may have to install pcre from source. Just go to the www.pcre.org website and get the tar file and follow the instructions. Needed because of a missing pcreposix.h file.

2) If you are using the latest NVIDIA graphics driver, you may need to replace the first two lines in the file /usr/lib/libGL.la with the following:

# libGL.la - a libtool library file

# Generated by ltmain.sh - GNU libtool 1.4.3 (1.922.2.110 2002/10/23 01:39:54)

# Generated by nvidia-installer: 1.0.5

3) If you get ltdl.c compile errors, try installing a newer version of autoconf. I installed version 2.57 using urpmi.

Finally, I made the necessary changes to .bash_profile and, bam, I was off to the races.

Thanks to all those who pointed me in the right direction and, of course, thanks to Google and Google Groups.

laugh