Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shovmyfist

HOw to block other users from seeing your files

in win xp or win2k how do u block a Regular User from seeing an administrator's files (stuff in documents and setttings dir)or even accessing Windows Explorer.

THanx

Did you install using a FAT32 partition? If so, using XP/2K gives you very little security advantage over Win95/98.

That type of per user file security is automatic if you use NTFS. I.E. Each user (except administrator) only has access to his own \Documents and Settings tree.

Only with NTFS files system.

Right click on any folder u wanna hide, go to security settings and remove access rights (like list) for users you don't wanna access the folder.

Quote:

I don't see the Security Settings for folders in this Windows XP. I know Windows 2000 have it though.

I believe you need to disable "Use Simple File Sharing" (AND use NTFS ;)) to see the Security tab.

[]s Badaro

Even if you don't need the permissions and encryption features theres no logical reason to not use NTFS under NT/2k/XP... In terms of data integrity it well and truly shits all over FAT (16 and 32).

Q: What does file permissions have anything to do with Hardware(XP)?

A: Nothing. Unless you are interested in hardware solution like a harddrive lock then this topic shouldn't be posted here.

Anyway. There is little to no security under FAT16 and FAT32. Under XP when you create an account with administrator privleges it will ask you if you want to make your account privte. If you choose yes then anything placed in your account folder cannot be accessed by users with limited account (not sure about other admin account users).