Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pubic Moose

Yet another puzzling problem from win2k

Ok, for some reason when win2k gives me problems, it gives me real posers. While this may not technically be a networking question, the problem manifests itself in a networking context, so here goes. This morning when I booted my machine, I tried to connect to the net. However, I found that my dialup connection was gone. Strange, but not a big problem. I quickly went through the steps to make it anew, but when it got to the last step (name the connection), it refuses to accept anything, terming whatever I type in there an invalid name. I have tried everything. Letters, numbers, other characters, spaces, no spaces, doesn't matter. Nothing seems to be acceptable to it.

Yesterday I did set some auto services to manual, but that is the only change that I made. In a related matter, that alteration to services seems to have substantially slowed down the boot process (it takes a really long time for it to bring up the logon screen). Anyone have a clue how to fix that?

I am absolutely stumped as to what is going on here, and as usual I looked through the KB to no avail.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Pubic Moose

I don't know what services you set to manual, but when I went to tweak3d.net and followed their directions for services to set to manual, my Outlook Express stopped working. I can't remember what service it was.

Have you tried re-enabling those services?