Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Congressman

Gaming Problem in Win2K

Everything used to work fine with my old system, which was a Celeron 336 and an Abit BH6, but then I upgraded.

My new rig has a Classic Athlon 950MHz and an Asus K7V. Both DirectX and OpenGL do not work right.

DirectX is delayed. Any input, be it mouse, keyboard, or joystick takes almost a full second for it to respond. It is just like have a very high ping.

OpenGL will crash at random times and will bring down my whole system, so i have to reboot.

I have a GeForce 2MX with the latest Detonator drivers, version 12.something. And i have installed the latest final version of the VIA 4in1 Drivers.

Can someone please help me, because i really want to get gaming again.

I can definitely relate. I've been lurking here for a bit, tried every solution I could find here and many other places. For me openGL and D3D both hang my system after several minutes of play.

I also get random hangs just on the desktop. Sometimes a few an hour, sometimes several days in between. hrm.gif Although it seems to maybe be related to playing aucio and video.

Here's amy setup:

[*]A7A266 (Based on ALiMAGiK1)

[*]TB 1.2GHz

[*]256MB DDR

[*]geForce2 MX 400

[*]Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

[*]HP 8250i (Not the overclockable one mad )

[*]LG DVD Rom

[*]USB HP 930c

[*]USB Keyboard

[*]USB IntelliMouse Optical

[/list:u]

Here is what I have done so far:

[*]Upgraded to SP2

[*]DX8a to 8.1 Beta

[*]Bios to 1007 (I think. Whatever one is in Beta)

[*]SB Live! to Santa Cruz

[*]No Fast Writes

[*]1x AGP

[*]nVidia 12.60 drivers

[*]Disabled all hardware based power saving

[*]Applied the AMD patch

[*]Applied the CDCreator 5 patch

[/list:u]

Some things I've noticed on this site and others are, it always seems to be PC's with AMD, ASUS, and nVidia. Perhaps I'm over generalizing it but...

Brian: I'll download that patch as soon as possible.

99CobraCvt: I was not aware of DirectX 8.1 Beta, if you could supply a link that would be great. But I do question your use of AGP 1X. I noticed a rather large performance increase when the VIA 4in1 drivers gave me use of AGP 4X. I really need the extra bandwidth for Tribes 2.

I can't remember where I got the DX beta from. I know it was a beotch, as MS apparently got rather upset. lol If you have an FTP site or something I can send it to you. I haven't noticed any changes or improvements though.

I am just trying the 1x AGP to see if it stabalized my system. Didn't phase it. The 4 in 1 doesn't applie to me, as I am using the ALi chipset. :-/

Let me know if the AMD patch fixed your issue. If it did, then we have different underlying issues.

The ALi chipset is fairly new and not a mature chipset yet, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was causing some problems. I'd read a roundup of mobo's with the Magik1 chipset, and it seems that ALi has some work to do yet. I've not been a real fan of ALi, but still, I figured you might just want to know that. You may try to see if there's a BIOS update for the board, since Asus is pretty regular with new BIOS's.

So after some more thought, I figured that it might be my sound card because 99CobraCvt said that he replaced his sound card and I remembered that a friend of mine had some serious problems with his Athlon and sound card. So I broke out my old MX300 and when I booted into Windows it seems fine but when ever I try and play a game that uses DirectX or OpenGL my sound dies. Using software rendering this does not happen.

This is really driving me insane. I am really thinking of dumping this Athlon and picking up a P4.

Probably a stupid question but did you format and reinstall when you upgrading? If not that could be a problem, I know Windows doesn't like having to change motherboards and stuff b/c of the drivers, could be wrong though.