Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sjchmura

Benchmarks: XP vs 2K for OpenGL/D3D apps and DS3D

I have been trying to find a site that has benchmarked say the newest 28xx series build with win2k for Q3 and D3D games. Also to demonstrate the performace the the audio systems.

Has any site done this??

I keep reading that "XP is so much faster". But is this really true?

One of my best friends is very close to MS due to his position and they have confirmed the codebase is virtually identicle. Has MS made specific improvements to the HAL for XP to allow better gameplay??

Also in this context I have always been impressed by 2K performace with games compared to win98. My systems have always benchmarked as well or better with OGL. Howeer, I agree, Win2k D3D performace has suffered at times.

frown

no benchmarks are being done by sites until 2 things happen. 1st is the RTM of XP the 2nd is the release of certified XP drivers not Win2k drivers that work on XP.

Its stupid to benchmark an OS that hasnt even hit RTM stages at this point because the benchmarks will be lower than 2k because your not working with a stable codebase and none of the benchmarking applications have been optimized for XP yet.

funny thing is, i went from "3990" in 3dmark 2000 1.1 in win2k, to "5129" in xp2446 and "6830" in xp2481, cool huh?

yea, you're tellin me, ask pimpin_228 how his benchmarks jumped up from 1200's to 5800's going from win2k to xp2481

Let me put a shameless plug in here...

I'm from http://www.nvnews.net , and I do quite a bit of benchmark posting with regards to Win98, Win2000, and WinXP. I have the latest release (2486 now, will have 2495 soon), and update frequently.

As a matter of fact, about 1 week ago, I made a post on our front page about Giants performance across all 3 OS's using a GeForce3 and a 1.4 GHz. T-Bird CPU.

FYI, Win2k gets about 50% the framerate as Win98, and WinXP is smack-dab in the middle. I would be willing to bet you that by October, WinXP will be right there with Win98....For some reason, Windows2000 has some inherent limit in D3D performance....In many cases, Win2000 OpenGL performance exceeds that of Win98.

Anyhow, check out my posts on the main page....I update it frequently, and have thought about doing a somewhat comprehensive roundup of games, comparing the performance levels between different OS's.

BTW....I'm pretty darn convinced that the somewhat new Philips Acoustic Edge soundcard might be the best thing for non Win9x OS's....As an example....Quake3, which doesn't support any kind of hard-core 3D audio per-se.....In Win2000 and WinXP....When the audio slider is set to "full acceleration"....Quake3 @ 1024x768x32 gets like 137 FPS.....When I set it to "no acceleration", it jumps to 167 FPS using the same settings.

You might say, "Hey, what difference is 137 vs. 167 FPS?" Well, truth to tell, there isn't....But if it can make that kind of difference is Quake3...Imagine what it *might* do in some other more taxing games?