Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ant -|- One

Disabling ACPI

Hello you all,

My mobo is the Asus P3V4X, latest release (fewer fsb settings) with latest bios (1005, i think), and i can't find the way to disable ACPI...

Someone to help me ?

Thanx !

Win2k will disregard the ACPI settings in BIOS.

I really suggest you leave ACPI alone, as everytime I've messed around with it, I had to reinstall Win2k.

who cares why just tell him how to do it that is what he asked.

This is how...go to the Device Manager then the top icon is computers, it will say Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) Compatible PC. Right click on this hit properties and go to update driver. Choose show drivers from a list and one of those will be Standard PC. Change to this driver reboot and you will no longer have ACPI enabled on your windows config. If your having problems i will post some screen shots later.

Thats really screwy, it share every PCI/AGP device IRQ in your system, it makes no retreat of your likeings or not, it wont boot when you disable it if w2k installed with ACPI switched on, and it wont allow my system to install w98 when it switched off...real pain.

Push F5 key right at the start of Windows 2000 installation and soon a list appears on screen with Standard PC choice at the top.

Switching on an installed system is not difficult but involves new detection and installation of hardware devices such as the mouse.

Thc129 i tried this once but in reverse, i.e. from standard PC to ACPI PC and the result?Blue screen, good bye, and had to reinstall win2k.I don't know if the reverse way works but it certainly didn't work for me in the order i told you.are you sure you can do this?

Quote:

Thc129 i tried this once but in reverse, i.e. from standard PC to ACPI PC and the result?Blue screen, good bye, and had to reinstall win2k.I don't know if the reverse way works but it certainly didn't work for me in the order i told you.are you sure you can do this?

Going from Standard to ACPI will NEVER work. Trust me. Reinstall is compulsory (I had to do that when ABit released an ACPI compatible BIOS for the BX6). The other way (ACPI -> standard) can work but is not recommended. The recommended (least likely to cause problems later) way has to be

Quote:

Thats really screwy, it share every PCI/AGP device IRQ in your system, it makes no retreat of your likeings or not, it wont boot when you disable it if w2k installed with ACPI switched on, and it wont allow my system to install w98 when it switched off...real pain.

Okay, firstly, the fact that the IRQs are shared under ACPI is irrelevant. Interrupt Requests are handled totally differently by ACPI and the end result of this is that IRQ sharing does not matter. Well okay, in 99% of cases; some very old hardware has been known to screw things up cos they're not designed to the PCI standard.

ACPI is therefore very useful as you no longer need to worry about IRQs -- ever. IRQs were a bad invention from long past (any decent computer architecture has much better ways of dealing with interrupts) that thankfully are now much less of a problem.

ACPI is "A Good Thing" ™

Secondly, as stated before, diabling ACPI should ONLY be done during the install process, at any other time it is very likely to screw your installation requiring a complete reinstall. If you do do this don't come blabbing back complaining how you had to reinstall your OS.

I don't mean to sound offensive or anything (even though I probably do, I'm like that), but unless you really need to and you know what you are doing, leave ACPI alone. It's for your own good. If your graphics card is running slow in Win2k, first check the drivers for the graphics card, check your motherboard chipset drivers if applicable, check your DirectX version, check you have the latest patches for your games, check that you have SP2 installed. Chances are that one of these is actually to blame.

Damn, I'm getting all emotional... laugh

Standard PC may be useful for getting two sound cards to work in the same computer. Slots 1 to 4 may be locked in Bios to Irq 11, 10, 5, 4 and the other Irq and adressing resources switched in Device Manager.

I found after installing a Lexmark printer as fifth USB device that the frequent mouse and screen lockups disappeared after reinstalling Windows 2000 with ACPI after choosing PCI Irq on AUTO in the Bios.

A week with ACPI revealed three new concerns:

-occasional loss of control of mouse and keyboard with selection tab moving around;

-occasional throwback to desktop in games while music plays on;

-severe loss of stability when memory is fixed at Cas 2 in Bios.

ACPI at least helped to efficiently reorganize the 5 USB.

Coming back to Standard PC solved all the problems and further grants full computer stability with the ram fixed at 2-2-2 in Bios which shows ACPI exacts a price in computer clock cycles and stability.

What about those running multiprocessor systems under 2000? Are they really forced to run acpi ? or can they choose something else> What is mps anyway? I never really knew that's why

MPS, MultiProcessor System(?). Back before ACPI was around, MPS is the HAL you had to be using if you had more then 2 processors in your machine.

Basically its two ways to skin a cat. One with power mamanagement (ACPI), and one without (MPS). Though saying that, MPS 1.4 does have some power mamanagement features.

Most ppl seem to run MPS as ACPI causes some type of problem and they never turn there computer off anyway, so why the need for that nice auto-shutdown feature?

However, I do use ACPI myself - even though I don't shutdown my machine either - its for that "what if" time. heh.