Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
landholl

Systems Stalls when starting Netowrk on Boot Up (Fedora)

I have posted on this topic before but am still having problems. I have a desktop with two hard drives. I have Win 2000 on the local disk, and have installed Fedora COre 1 on the slave drive, using the GRUB boot loader at startup to choose between the two. I originally had an ethernet card installed tha was used with wIN 2000 that is connected directly to my cable modem. I installed Fedora and during setup Eth0 was detected, and I chose to auto detect DHCP. Once installation was complete, I rebooted, and during startup the computer stalls while "Starting Network". This stall requires a reboot I have let it sit for hours with no change. I tried installing a new NIC card and reinstalling Fedora, and get the same problem. When I take out the NIC card and install Fedora the system boots fine. I really am new at this, and trying to get through this frustration. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Landin

I sure wish I could help you with this, but I'm afraid anything I might suggest would only be guessing. Sorry.

On second thought, I have a few things that come to my mind you may want to consider. It's quite possible your cable modem will only work with Windows when directly connected to the nic. It is also possible the modem is looking for an ip that is assigned to your Windows OS and the one assigned to your Linux OS is different. Cable companies are real stingy with what gets the connection. The answer would be to buy a router *if* this is the problem. Linksys works well with Linux as does NetGear. I think Dlink works too. I know it sucks to have to get a router, especially for just one machine, but if this were my problem, this would be the next thing I would try. Maybe you have a computer friend who would let you borrow a router just to see. If not, you might can do what I did once. I told the folks at OfficeMax that their router was purported to work with Linux, and if I couldn't get it to work, could I bring it back. They said yes, it didn't, and I did. wink

This is exactly what I had to do, buy a router.

I also read that it is indeed possibly a problem with the MAC address.

If you want to be bold, try resetting the cable modem (see the directions that come with the modem - usually this means turning of the modem for a few minutes, then plug it back in and try to boot to linux). See if eth0 gets picked up during boot by choosing to view the startup messages during boot.

Do you know what brand/chip is in the NIC card that you currently have?