Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JMD

Computer Mantinance Question

Hello.

I have been using Diskeeper to defrag my hard drive. In the last 4 days I have defraged it 4 times. After it defrags I get the report, the report reads as this.

Findings on C:

Diskeeper has completed a defragmentation run on this volume and there remain 5 fragmented files and 2386 excess file fragments. (There were 2634 excess file fragments before the defragmentation run, and now there are 9% less.)

The average number of fragments per file is 1.05.

This volume is moderately fragmented, with 10% of the total volume space available for defragmentation. This level of free space is so low that performance is suffering from that fact alone. Indeed, fragmentation is the least of your worries under these conditions. Clear some files off this volume to achieve a minimum of 20% free space for acceptable performance.

Since the number of excess fragments changed by only 9% on the last defragmentation run, there is a good possibility that Diskeeper has done the best it can do with this volume at this time. You should schedule Diskeeper to run considerably more often than it has been running to reduce the current fragmentation and maintain a lower level of fragmentation

Could someone explain what this means. I have 1.5 gig left on my hard drive so I don't understand what it is saying.

SECOND QUESTION.

In my temp folder I have 65 megs worth of files. What files can I delete, I have tried to delete the temp files but in some cases the system won't let me, it says they are shared files, there are also set uo exe's in there can they be deleted??.

THIRD QUESTION.

Once I have installed a program and it is now installed in Program files can the original exe on C drive be delegated or is this still necessary to run the program

Thanks

Regards Joe

smilesmile

First Question----

no idea

Second Question---

In the temp folder WIndows usually throws files in there needed for installing a program. After a reboot does it still explain to you that there are shared files in there? If so what files???

Try using win2k's "Disk Cleanup" which usually takes out the middleman of guessing.

Third Question----

Are you refering to a 'setup.exe' for say......napster? Once you install this program it is safe to delete the setup files.

1. Diskeeper is crap. IIRC, it requires more disk space for it's defragmentation than Norton Speedisk.

2. The files in the TEMP folder can be deleted by sometimes they will be in use. Ex. If your using Office or installing a program then these programs use the TEMP directory for extraction.

3. Nope, setup programs are not needed. Don't delete 'em tho. Geesh, Imagine downloading the latest X-isle demo, installing it and then deleting it! 8) 8)

Diskeeper has always worked very well for me. I have used versions 4-6 without any problems, plus I use the built-in scheduler to keep everything defragged.

Thanks.

But CrazyKillerMan im using NT 4.0 not Win 2000.

And as far as what dos said, yes it would be stupid to download a program and then deleat it, but I thought that when you download a program onto C drive, then install it (it usualy defalts to program files for instalation) that the original download on to C drive is no longer needed. I have never erased them befor but I need to clear some space off my drive otherwise I would just leave them. If I need them I will keep them.

Thats why I was confused by what Diskeeper was saying. That I only have 10% of the total volume space available for defragmentation. This level of free space is so low that performance is suffering from that fact alone. Indeed, fragmentation is the least of your worries under these conditions. Clear some files off this volume to achieve a minimum of 20% free space for acceptable performance.

I still have 1.4 gig left, if it thinks that is low wait untill I install a 600mg program that I need, then what. haha oh ya another hard drive. anyone have one cheeeeeeeeep

Thanks

smilesmile

PS I'm using the full version of Diskeeper 6.0. I have Norton Speed disk but I was just experimenting with different softwares and heard good things about Diskeeper.

Cheers:D

heh

i knew that too.....sorry....just get rid of temp folder....if winnt needed it...it would have placed it elsewhere. And....I agree with dosfreak about not deleteing the inet downloaded files....but i rip em over to a 'patch' cdrw so i can keep about 2 gigs free....but then again...i have 80 gigs of space....