Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SnapperOne

Problems w/ US Robotics 56K fax/modem

Well, we did it; we "upgraded" from Win98SE to Win2000-Pro. In short, it has been a nightmare!!!!!

The most recent problem is trying to get a dial tone from our 3Com US Robotics 56K V90 Fax/Modem. Worked flawlessly under Win98SE. 2000-Pro's Device Manager says the modem is working properly, but we still can't get a dial tone. And, when we go to the US Robotics Support page they want a model number, while we've only ever called the unit a USR 56K V90 Fax/Modem.

Any ideas: (1) How we can check for updated drivers without a model number, (2) the model number for our fax/modem, and (3)what might be causing the lack of a dial tone; we've checked the phone line and it's fine.

P.S.: Please don't reply by e-mail, since our e-mail account with AT&T @Home isn't up and running yet.........Another 2000-Pro issue.

The model number is on the modem itself. You should definitly get the Win2K drivers for it. Also you might want to try a fresh install of Win2K, it usually works out alot better.

Check your ISP's website for there settings under Win2K, most ISP's do provide this information, or you could call them.

1: How min com port you have ?.

2: Some time upgrade from Win98 to Win2000 is very bad idea in frist place you should have done a clean install.

3: Is the USR 56K V90 Fax/Modem is it in PnP mode or Hard Mode.

What happens if you run the diagnostics from the "Modem" control panel applet (or whatever it's called - I'm at my work PC, so can't remember the exact names) - it's the one that goes through all the standard AT codes to check your modem is working OK.

You should be able to get the model number from the results of this - it's one of the earlier AT codes if I remember correctly.

Also (and it's just a stab in the dark, and I've never seen this happen yet, and feel free to shoot me if I'm being condescendingly obvious), have you checked that the modem is set to use tone dialling and not pulse dialling (or vice versa if that's what you need)?

And another thought, while I'm at it - have you tried accessing the modem via HyperTerminal, and trying an ATZ, or a manual ATDT command? Does everything work there?

Probably won't help, but I'm just sticking my oar in to help...!

AndyF

Hi, you need to use the driver named US Robotics 56K Fax Modem that comes with win2k. Upgrade the standard driver that the OS selects by default to that which is listed under 3Com by choosing 'display a list of known drivers for this device', then goto 'show all hardware of this device class'.

Chris

As with other problems, thanks for all the help!

Guess I inadvertently mislead you guys a bit with my original post, when I used the word "upgraded" to describe my installation of 2000-Pro. While I was attempting to hint that I might have been taking a step backward with 2000-Pro based upon the problems I've been having so far, looks like a threw you guys a curve by inadvertently suggesting I had installed 2000-Pro "over" 98SE. For the record, I did a complete reformat of the drive and fresh install of 2000-Pro.

I'll do some checking as suggested in several of the posts. Once again, sorry for the curve.

SnapperOne