Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
oozle

does the win95 compatability layer in sp2 for win2k even do

When you select to run a program under the win95 compatability layer under sp2 in win2k, does this even do anything? Is this the equivalent of running the program under win95? If anything all my games have become slower when running under this mode.

You should only use the Win95 compatibility layer as a last ditch attempt to get a program that does not normally work under 2000 to work. You shouldn't use it on programs that already work as it will probably impair performance (disables certain hardware acceleration stuff etc).

The option is basically just to bypass problems where you cannot run setup or execute a program due to the program having a requirement built in for NT/9x. That's about it for the compatibility with that options. The Whistler Application Compatibility kit does ALOT more.

The compatabilty patch works ok I could not run Microsoft photodraw as soon as I opened the program it said photodraw has generated errors as soon as I applied the compatibly 95 layer opens and now works fine so it does work !!!

DosFreak,

Where can I get the Whistler Compatibility Kit and is it meant for win2k? Or do you mean a separate kit for Windows Whistler (ie. quivalent of the win2k compatibility kit for windows whistler)

WinXP compatability mode is only available in WinXP. The Win2k compatability updates are the closest you will get, but still lacking in some functionality.

Sorry for the let down man.

-Oldwulf

I'll be release an updated Whistler Application Compatibility kit sometime later this month. For now just grab WHACT20.cab from

www.freedrive.com

Login:ntcompatible

Pass:ntcompatible

Read the readme and install. Then you'll have exactly the same Compatibility that Whistler has.

If you don't like the hack I put together and want something more Microsofty. Then just download the .MSI file (It's the original Whistler Application Compatibility Kit, I just removed the Whistler requirement.) Also download apphelp.zip

www.freedrive.com

Login:ntcompatible1

Pass:ntcompatible1

1. Run the .MSI and install it.

2. Extract the 2 .sdb files from apphelp into your \winnt\apppatch directory.

I recommend downloading the second if you don't care about the technical stuff and just wanna get your games working.

laugh

Nice hack DosFreak!

I was certain that Microsoft didn't put this kit out for Win2k. But you seem to have fixed that problem.

Thanks man,

-Oldwulf