Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cardinal

Sblive problems *yawn* searching didn't help.

I know this has been done to death but do you have any idea how many threads there are about sblive problems? I couldn't search all of them. I am after a link where I can get those latest Sblive drivers that were posted on ntcompatible about a month ago. I downloaded them but lost a hdd.

Also, while we're on the subject. My pc is behaving like a 486 when it comes to playing mp3s. When I do anything else I get sound cut outs and stuttering. It's been a while so I forgot, which tricks are there to stop this happening?

* I use Winamp to play mp3s.

* I have tried wmp7.1 also.

* The harware acceleration tab is set one back from 'full'

* I am using Liveware 3 and dx 8a

Please humour me guys and help another disgruntled sblive user out.

I am so damn sick of this poor excuse for a sound card.

Regards,

Cardinal.

P.S I notice there are seems to be alot more new members in the forum. This can only be a good thing smile

damn i was gonna say if your using a VIA chipset to try the PFD fix but your not. I dunno

I think anyone who uses the SBLive under Win2k for anything other than "strictly business" has issues.. I have seen time and time again problems like crackling, studdering, weird noises during games, and a whole plethora of other issues with this sound card.

I myself am running it in a Microstar K7T-Pro A-2 , and yes, I realize there were issues with VIA and the SBLive, but I was not being impacted by any of those (normally was a problem when trying to move files from one hard drive to another, system would totally hang). Additionally, Microstar has released a new BIOS update that specifically says it has addressed the SBLive issues, and VIA has released new 4 in 1 drivers that say they have addressed it as well - but still, under Win2k(Barebones, SP1, AND SP2)the sound is total trash . It just seems that creative labs just doesnt care about gamers or people who do anything that has to do with entertainment under Win2k - just look at their support web page... They have the whole thing posted on who should/should not switch to Win2k. I may be reading between the lines, but it seems that this is their way of saying "If want our stuff to run right with your stuff, stick with Win98 or ME"..

Here it is , copied and pasted from their FAQ page..

{BEGIN PASTE}

My system is currently running on Windows 95 or Windows 98. Should I upgrade to Windows 2000?

This depends on the tasks you commonly perform on the PC. It is better to retain your current OS if you are relying on:

a. The best support for working with music and video

b. The best support for PC gaming

c. Easy home networking and Internet setup

{END PASTE}

Like I said, yes, I am reading between the lines, but sometimes to best information IS between those lines!

I believe it has been somewhere in the area of a year since Liveware 3 is been released for Win2k - well, I think it's about time Liveware 4 comes out, or at least an update for 3 that WORKS!!! Seems that everything they are releasing these days is for the 5.1 series of cards - maybe Creative is just following the trend that they took with all their other cards, but it seems that the message they are sending out is, "If you want support and updates, you have to keep buying the newest products."

Don't get me wrong now, I absolutely LOVE the performance of my SBLive value under Win98SE (and WinME , when I have the patience to deal with all it's quirks), but come on people, WinXP is going to be out before too long, and if they haven't fixed the problem with the Live under the 2000 kernal, well, I am tossing it out the damned window and buying something else from another company that gives a crap about it's reputation and it's customers, and not just about making mo' money! I know the games I play run exceptionally well under 2000 - now if I can just turn on my speakers without cringing everytime I hear a sound!

Nevermind me , I'm just ranting!! laugh

My own version of the Creative FAQ.

"Is there any way to stop the crackling and other sound problems I get with my Sblive and Windows 2000?"

No. We at Creative are aware of the problems the sblive card has under Windows 2000 but do not plan on correcting this.

"Is liveware 4 ever going to be released?"

Perhaps but not any time soon. We are putting 99% of our resources into new product development. We have never provided quality drivers in the past and do not plan on doing so.

-----------------------------

Set the acceleration thing 2 settings back instead of one......

that should work but you lose everything related to EAX and Hardware accelerated sound....

Hell, if I wanted to use a sound card without EAX, I would have bought a cheap sucker for $10-$15 from the computer show about oooh say 7-8 months ago, which was about when I lost my cool and became enraged about Creative not giving a damn about it's customers.

Time to go over to CompUsa and pick up a Santa Cruz I think..

Thow the card away while you can! It's cursed I tell you! CURSED!!!!

Well, I did it - I bought a Santa Cruz today, and Well, after installing the Santa Cruz and the drivers, then all the games I had problems with - guess what - everything sounds PERFECT!!!!

Definately $79.95 well spent!!!!

Take that creative!!

ooooh ..turtle beach ..is that just the chip manufacturer or did you just buy a product that is branded using the turtle beach chip?

No, I bought the Santa Cruz, made by turtle beach.

I do believe the manufacturer of the chip on the card is Cirrus Logic, but I could be mistaken.

Games under Win2k do sound a little different from the Santa Cruz than the Live did in Win98, but that's not a bad thing. In fact, some of the stuff actually sounds a little more realistic (Nascar 4 is a prime candidate!)

All in all, I am very happy with the card and it's performance. Good bye creative, good ridence Win98/ME.

i have a sound blaster live x-gamer and to be totaly honest ii've never had 1 problem with it no bad sound ,no crackling, nothing.

the only problems i have had is with the stupid tool bar that creative seems to think is useful,it used to crash my puter everyonce in a while but turned it off and had no problems since,everything is stable and runs great and i have great sound. i used to have a turtle beach montego card and that card sucked drivers never ran right on win 98 and my system was always crashing. but now win2000+xgamer=good sound for me anyway.some specs athlon 600@663 msi 6195 mainboard 352megs ram tnt2 m64 26gig quantum fireball ata66

sorry if i seem loopy in writing this post its 8:27 am and i havent been to bed yet:D

Quote:
et in arcadia ego

Devildog you lucky sod. 8)

I can't wait until I can afford another sound card myself. Have not seen any place in Oz that sells the Santa Cruz though. Looks like I'll get a Hercules X-gamer.

And then it will be curtians for this card.

Anyone after a burnt, smashed, smeared, thrown, flushed sblive card?

Let me know.

Regards,

Card.