Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hawkman

Removing the 'Getting Started' screen

I am the administrator of a local college and I am in the process of setting up 50 workstations with W2K. I would like to remove the 'getting started with windows' initial opening screen for new users. The students immediately click the 'set up internet' box instead of the 'don't show this screen again' box. This really messing the machine up when that happens. Is there a way to either disable the screen completely, or at least disable the options on it? I would like the user just to log on (first time) and have it go to the desktop. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

cool

Don't display the 'Getting Started with Windows 2000' screen on Windows 2000 Professional.

You can configure this setting in Group Policy or by using Regedt32 to navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

or

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

On the Edit menu, Add Value name NoWelcomeScreen as a REG_DWORD data type. A data value of 0, the default, displays the 'Getting Started with Windows 2000' screen when a user logs on. A data value of 1 does not display the 'Getting Started with Windows 2000' screen and the check box on the screen is ignored.

NOTE: An entry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER takes precedence over an entry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.