Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brian Frank

Setting up a game server on a network???

Okay, Ive got a cheap Celeron-based system that Im setting up to be a sever with games. Okay so far (loading Win2k right now), but here's what Im working on: I have another multiboot sitting right beside it with Win2k/ME/XP as the OSs and I was thinking of dropping another ISA NIC into it and then running a 5' CAT5 cable over to the Celeron system.

The big ol' question I got is that when Im running a LAN party here, will the Mulitboot pc be impared at all. 2.) If Im on a different OS besides 2k, and have not gotten ME or XP to network properly, will the OS's that fail to work the networking still let traffic pass through regardless of whether they work properly?

I am planning to get a hub here sometime when I get some more $$$, but I basically need a quick fix to make this work for the time being.

Im thinking Im right, but Ive screwed up before.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, you want to have one computer with two nic's, and have the networks on both nics see each other? This can work, but only if you set up routing on that computer. So no, it won't pass traffic through if the cards aren't configured right in the os. And I'm pretty sure you can't do that at all with ME.

I know you said you don't have the money right now, but your life will be a LOT easier if you just get a hub and plug everyone into that.

Yeah, Im gonna get a hub ASAP, but I just want this as a quick fix.

1 pc ( the celeron) has one NIC and I am gonna link it to my multi boot after I drop a 2nd NIC into it.

BTW, HL wont be too heavy traffic for it in this thing? Probably will only happen one time before I get the hub set up.

no, traffic shouldn't be a problem - remember, games like HL are designed to be playable over a 56k modem, and you're giving it a 10mbit LAN to work with....

Rats! The hardware works okay, I got a 10/100 Linksys NIC and a PC-PC 10' CAT5e cable, now the Celeron system cant get on the network under the domain. What do I do now? It also cant get online either so Im guessing its something between the two PCs.