Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ancker

Hex hackers needed..Need someone to fix my app.

Ok i have a program that i wrote in VB 6 that saves window positions and restores them, say after a resolution change.

The program runs fine in Win9x...but NOT in 2k Pro OR Server.

if i post a link to where you can download this and maybe play with it will a few of you help me out?

I'm using only standard API calls.

thanks

Ancker Jade

Rather than having us hack your exe, would you be willing to post the source code?? That would make it a whole lot easier to debug....

If he is asking a Hex Hacker, maybe its because he don't have the source code anymore

I'd rather not release the source code as I am considering licensing the software..as shareware..

My plans may change though.

Please help if you can.

Ancker

So you want someone else to fix your program, so that you can charge money for it? Sounds kind of sketchy, don't you think?

Seriously, with all of the optimizations that the compiler does, it is VERY difficult to read the machine code and figure out what the problem is.

I would try getting the latest service pack for visual studio, and then recompile. If you still get the error, then it's time to walk through the debugger. If you are serious about selling your software, this is something you should really learn to do.

the problem isn't in the code...it's in the compiling or something

The program is flawless in 9x so it doesn't seem like it would be necessary to release the code.

also i'm not planning on becoming a "hardcore" programmer

i just thought it would be cool to have software released as shareware..I'm not trying to become rich of it...

Ancker

I don't know if you may have done this or not, but, did you try recompiling the code under 2k Pro?

Since we all know how finicky 2k can be when trying to run code designed for the 9x series of windows.:D

Other than that, I don't know how else to help, I haven't done any programing more complex than small console apps.

-blake

Looks like you will have to do it yourself unless you are willing to post the source.

What if we promise not to copy it? wink

Wait, now I'm sounding like William G.

Forget it, good luck.

:P

Indeed. Try recompiling it under 2K... and remember, 2K is different to 9x. Just because it works in one, doesn't mean it will in the other. There are differences in the APIs.

--Cynan.

Actually MS has said that the API calls are NOT different.

And i looked up compatibility on the EnumWindows API call.

Tried recompiling on a 2k Machine...no luck..

Maybe i'll try to write and activex control.

Ancker

Well thats weird, cos I remember doing some graphics stuff a few years back, and I specifically remember having to change a few things.

9x is quite tolerent of what you can do, 2K likes everything to be by the book.

--Cynan.