Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
WhiteHawk

Linux on Acer Aspire: HELP ME

Hi, i'm a newbie. I have installed linux Mandrake 9.2 Downaload Version on my Acer Aspire 1203X (i have also WinXPpro). My problem is: When i start linux, he start all, but after he have start the eth0, he start the PCMCIA but he make nothing, for 30, 40, 50 minutes. Therefore i can not use linux. What can i make? (I'm not english, i'm italian, i speak little the english, but i unterstand well. Sorry)

Thanks

Would this happen to be model 1320X?

Are you using the onboard modem (the telephone jack built in to the system) or an external PCMCIA modem? If this is an external modem (plugged into the PCMCIA slot) and do you have the model name and number?

The problem here is if the modem is a "soft-modem" which generally only work in windows. Some of the soft-modems did have drivers for linux, but without knowing what one that it is, it's hard to tell.

The internel modem may also be a soft-modem or AMR modem, which probably will not work at all.

Let us know what you have, if you can tell. There is very little on the Acer site about this, but I did find one user that mentions a Conexant soft-modem.

My computer is 1203X.

I have a internal Lucen WinModem, he's a soft modem? I think yes.

But I use not the modem for internet, i use the Lan (linux start the eth0, he work). The modem i can shut down. I can make this in the BIOS? I have not find this option. I must upgrade the BIOS? I have a PhoenixBIOS setup Utilis v1.60

Thank for the help.