Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Maxwell Rain

Uninstalling OpenOffice

I would like to Uninstall OpenOffice from my Mandrake 9.2. system.

Currently using IceWM as window manager.

I ran the setup file as local user, and was able to uninstall the local setup for Openoffice. But can't seem to uninstall it completely from my workstation.

The Uninstall deletes OpenOffice in : /home/maxwell/OpenOfficexxx

But in /opt/OpenOffice/ nothing happens. It won't uninstall there.

I tried running the setup as root, but then the Konsole doesn't recognize "setup" as a command.

On the OpenOffice site I can't find any information, and via google most searches come up with windows uninstall information.

Anyone here with any experience in uninstalling OpenOffice ?

Thank you.

Look in the Mandrake Control Center in the same location where you installed IceWM. There is also an icon for uninstalling apps. That is the best way to uninstall in MDK.

Yes, I looked there.

but, euhm, well, I didn't find it (now that's not a new story is it).

I used the search function as well. No luck.

I did do an install with the tarball from OpenOffice.org, and not of the Mandrake discs. I didn't know it was on those discs.

Damnit, These first linux steps are complicated. frown

And I haven't even begun getting the sound working laugh

It will pay off in the end, trust me! smile To keep things uncomplicated, stay away from tarballs unless that is the only way to install something you really want. Always go with the mdk rpm. It makes installing and uninstalling much simpler. Then, once you start feeling comfortable, try installing tarballs. One step at a time! wink

In Star Office there is a start-up script that brings you to a menu window that gives the option to uninstall. I think that Open Office has the same feature. If I get time later, I will boot into Mandrake and try to find it for you.

P.S. OK since you installed from source, it may be different for your system. But look in the source directory of Open Office, where you unpacked the app with the file manager.

Look for an icon called setup. Double click on this and it should bring up a menu that allows you to uninstall Open Office.

It could be under /usr/lib/openoffice/ as well, or in your home directory.

If you can´t find it, in a console, type openoffice. Look for the path to the library or main program, then look for the setup icon.