Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vampyr

Dual CPU problems in XP Pro 2465

I just recently upgraded my system to dual p3 1Ghz, 512mb ram with a Asus CUV4x-D motherboard. I have an elsa tnt2 and sblive value. XP installed on my old p3 700 w/ asus p3v133 board. The problem i get is that half waythrough the Installing Devices portion XP i get a blue screen "Interrupt storm. blah blah blah error in ACPI.sys". Win2k installs with no problems. I have tried installing fresh with many different builds of XP. I have also tried upgrading to XP from many different platforms. I have also done many BIOS tweaks and have tried installing with nothing but the videocard. XP installs if i specify a Standard PC but then i don't get dual CPU support. Two things i haven't tried are a) replacing ACPI.sys with the Win2k version and B) installing XP on a different machine and then putting the hard drive into my machine and letting XP detect the new hardware in Windows.

Any Help would be appreciated

I haven't toyed with XP, but have you looked at the ACPI related BIOS settings?

Might be worth making some changes there.

when you select your system select Multiprocessor PC not Standard.

When the installer starts i press F6 to bring up the PC select screen and all i can select is "Standard PC C-Step i486". Is there anything i'm doing wrong?

There isn't anything relating to ACPI in my BIOS. Would assigning IRQ's to my PCI slots fix the problem?

I dont know whether this is relevant to XP, but I had the same sort of problem under w2k.

If you boot off the cd and go to the recovery console you can manually copy the non ACPI mps kernel off the cd into the winnt directory.

Its on the microsoft site somewhere, cannot seem to find it at the moment.