Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Maxwell Rain

Changing from KDE to Window Manager like Blackbox ?

Hello, I've installed Mandrake 9.2. on a Toshiba Laptop 490XCDT, PII, 64 RAM, 2 GB hd

Now, I've also installed OpenOffice (I've just before on Windows98 and am very pleased with it).

But my system slows down immensly when using OpenOffice.

I've read that KDE takes up a lot of memory, and I'm not into any fancy desktop environments, It's not the most important for me. I just need a working station for word-processing, spreadsheets, email, general internet use, and a music player.

So is Blackbox an option, I've read it takes up a lot less memory.

And if so, How do I change from my current KDE-environment to Blackbox (of Fluxbox.. or whatever else is "out there") ?

Also, I cannot install from the internet, so I need to be able do download a program with my dekstop and burn it to cd-r (as I did to install OpenOffice for example). [the modem delivered by the provider remembers the ethernet-card, and only one ethernetcard, even after rebooting it].

Thanks in Advance.

I gotta tell you, looking at your system specs. you have the absolute minimum to run Mandrake, in my opinion. There are options out there for you, it depends on what you are able to do.

Did I get this correct? A 2 Gig hard drive? That coupled with 64 mb of ram, I'm not surprised that you are having problems. If you had more hard drive space, then Mandrake would run more comfortably for you. Can you upgrade the hard drive to a larger one by any chance?

If not, there are other desktops/GUI's that will work, as you mentioned. I like XFCE, which is not memory intensive and works with many KDE programs.

There are other, less memory intensive word processing apps. out there. Open Office takes a lot of ram to run properly. Some users like Blackbox a lot, but it depends on what you think will work for you.

By the way, what speed is your processor rated for?

Either way, you do have options, but it depends on what apps. you would like to run and what your desktop needs are.

There also is an article about your system and Linux, if your interested, I will look it up, if you would like.

P.S. here is one;

http://www.antlinux.com/Toshiba490XCDT/

Blackbox is good, but in my humble opinion IceWM is the very best DE out there. It uses very little resources, is lean and lightening fast, and has a simple and highly configurable interface. Best of all, it's right there on your Mandrake cd's to install!

I've been using IceWM since I ran Mdk 9.0, when I fell in love with it. If you would like to try it out, just go to your menu and go to Configure-Mandrake Control Center- Software Management-Install Software. Type icewm in the search window and it should come right up. Also, be sure to install Icepref, which is the IceWM configuration tool. To give you an idea of how configurable it is, here's a recent screen of mine...

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/352713/void1.jpg

Dapper - I like IceWM too. I just installed Debian by using the Morphix LiveCD, and I used apt-get to 1. Update 2. upgrade 3. dist-update (or whatever the actual commands were). I haven't been able to find the command in Mandrake KDE that allowed me to switch to IceWM. Do you know how I could do it in Debian? ;(

Are you using Morphix-Gnome? I used apt-get to have IceWM on my wife's laptop the same as you, and it made the necessary entries so we could have IceWM as a Sessions choice. If you are using Morphix-Gnome and for whatever reason it didn't make the changes, you have to edit your /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions. In there you will see the other DEs. You can do this in Nautilus or konqueror. go there and make a copyof the GNOME entry, and rename it IceWM. Then, open it. It should have this:

Code:
#!/bin/bashexec /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession gnome 

Change it to:

Code:
#!/bin/bashexec /usr/bin/icewm 

Now, when gdm comes up, you should see IceWM as a Sessions choice.

Another way to use it is to choose "Failsafe" as a Sessions choice, and when it comes up, just type:

icewm [enter]

smile

Quote:
There are options out there for you, it depends on what you are able to do.

Well, not that much. This is my very first Linux experience.

Quote:
Can you upgrade the hard drive to a larger one by any chance?

Not really, my finances are quite low.

Quote:
If not, there are other desktops/GUI's that will work, as you mentioned. I like XFCE, which is not memory intensive and works with many KDE programs.

So let me get this straight. I can install a GUI like XFCE, and then I won't be needing KDE anymore ? But there are KDE-programs that will run on XFCE ?

Quote:
There are other, less memory intensive word processing apps. out there. Open Office takes a lot of ram to run properly.

Which one do you know of that have the same quality as OpenOffice ?
As I stated before, I was very pleased running OpenOffice on my laptop while still using win98. I was a bit slow, but not as much as with Mandrake.
Maybe if I install a different IceWM/Blackbox/.... it will run better ?
But, if you know a better alternative, I would be very pleased smile

Quote:
By the way, what speed is your processor rated for?

P II, 233

Quote:
Either way, you do have options, but it depends on what apps. you would like to run and what your desktop needs are.

Dekstop needs are rather simple : Office-packet, internet & email/newsgroups and working sound system (well, until I finally am able to afford a decent mp3-player to hook up to my stereo)

Quote:
There also is an article about your system and Linux, if your interested, I will look it up, if you would like.

P.S. here is one;

http://www.antlinux.com/Toshiba490XCDT/

Tnx, I've already found that article, but if you know of any more, I would be very grateful. Information is never useless. smile

Now, I willl try to install IceWM... I will most likely be back here after that.
Thank you for the replies

Thanks, Dapper. I used Morphix KDE instead, but what you said reminded me of something that may work. 8)

This is why I like these forums! laugh

Having multiple users look for solutions is excellent. I forgot about IceWM as an alternative.

Maxwell Rain, I will keep an eye out for a good deal for you. I may even have an old 2.5" hard drive lying around that I would be willing to get to you cheap.

If you are willing to do some legwork on your system and feel that you could install a larger drive , we can see if a larger hard drive will work in your system. As I suspected, the power of your system is limited, but enough to find a solution.

By all means, try IceWM. Between Dapper Dan and myself, let's see what we come up with.

Quote:

As I suspected, the power of your system is limited, but enough to find a solution.

Hopefull, 'cause no way in hell I'm going back to using Windows. I made the jump, and now I'm staying in smile

Maxwell Rain, as far as office apps go, I don't use Open/Star office because it's resource hog! It's getting better though. I like both Abiword and Kword as word processors but mostly use Abiword since it is more versatile and easy on resources. If you need a spreadsheet program, Gnumeric is the king! We use it on a daily basis at our radio station and it has never crashed once!

Quote:
Maxwell Rain, as far as office apps go, I don't use Open/Star office because it's resource hog! It's getting better though. I like both Abiword and Kword as word processors but mostly use Abiword since it is more versatile and easy on resources. If you need a spreadsheet program, Gnumeric is the king! We use it on a daily basis at our radio station and it has never crashed once!

Tnx, I will try some of the word-processors you mentioned smile