Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DosFreak

You can format a DVD-RAM with FAT32......

according to Whistler Beta 2 2462 Professional setup.

BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH!

laugh

*I wonder why they didn't use FAT12? :P

erm, I dont really get the joke.

All my DVDram disks are formated Fat32 using the softarch software under w2k. I find its much better for data storage than UDF, smaller clusters etc.

I did notice however that XP does not recognise such disks; you have to reformat them to Fat32 using XP, then they work under XP and w2k. very odd.

I guess UDF is better for video files if Panasonic release their domestic DVD player which should play DVDrams.

Really? So you can format a DVDR using FAT32? Wow. That's very odd. Learn something new every day.... Is it really Fat32 tho? Are there any differences between HD FAT32 & DVD FAT32?

DVDRam & DVDRoms only use the UDF "Universal Disk Format" must be a goof up.

it says in the install you can format them FAT32. I dont have one to try it out on though LOL

yeah, I must admit I have never been really sure if formating them Fat32 uses 'real Fat32'.

You can view the disk using a defragger and it shows data randomly spread across the disk as you would expect; however actually eyeballing the surface of the disk looks like it has been written from the center outwards like a cd. I guess the software/driver is doing some clever translation. But at the end of the day I have been using it for 2 years and never had any problems, it works just like any other removable system.

Anyways I am pleased XP is supporting the format, as before I had to buy the software to use the thing under w2k.