Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pjfuller

Poor quality sound.

Hello,

after installing nt4 + sp6a for the 3rd time, i still can't get any sound card to function cleanly, by that i mean, with out sounding dirty. I use headphones when ever i want to listen to cds, mp3 or games, i find its very annoying. Especially when there is no sound at all, appart from the the buzzing coming internal bus(?). frown

I had the same problem with with a sb16 under 95, i could change the internal gain, to minimise the problem, but with nt4 and the drivers i can't seem to do that.

I have an ISA crystal based sound, also a forte media 801 based pci sound card. Both work correctly.

Cheers for any help. laugh

Paul

G'day mate

Thats Perth, Australia. cool

Sound card, i've tried playing with the bios since the post, it still sounds crap. shocked

Cheers paul.

Paul.

I'm running NT 4.0 SP 6A with the Sound Blaster 16 and it sounds fine. No problems.

I did nothing special with the instalation.

Cheers

Joe

you werent very clear with how it sounds 'dirty'. If you have problems with humming or when you can hear disk access (thru your speakers) then your card is picking up some power supply signals and amplifying them. Try moving the card to the lowest slot or furthest away from the power supply. I remember having this problem with my SB16 WWAAAAY back in the early 90's. there wasnt really a good way to fix it. Does your card have a volume control in the back? If so, lower that to as low as possible and use your speakers to amplify the music, instead of relying on the card. Hope that helps..

jeff

Quote:

Perth!!!

Is that Perth Australia or Perth Scotland???

In regards to your problem - /me shrugs

me somwhere near Glasgow, Scotland.

The sound being played is great, ie a wav or the cd player. The internal static the sound card picks up is really bad. Even with everything turned down, including the MIC/Line which is muted, i can still hear it.

I might try a new sound card.

Paul frown