Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Marchuz^

NT4 Backup Domain Controller...

I have a Windows 2000 Advanced Server acting as a primary Active Directory DC, now I want to make my NT4 Server a backup DC but I can't... I install NT4 and select backup DC... then I create a computer account in Active Directory for my NT Server. But when the computer is supposed to join the domain it says that the computer account is already in use a workstation or server...

Anyone knows what to do? Maybe Clutch can answer this one? smile

Sorry bud, but a NT Server can't join an AD domain as a DC. Now, a Win2K server can join a NT Domain as a DC, but I don't think that will help you now.

Your best bet with AD anyway is to have at LEAST 2 servers running as DCs (which I guess you are trying to do) due to the annoying need of the architecture to replicate among partners. This rings true for DNS in Win2K as well.

Oh, and as far as the error goes, the best thing that I have found is to delete the account and then "create" the account when you are trying to join the domain from the client. In other words, on the system that you are joining to a domain, just enter the target domain, and then it will prompt for the proper credentials (Domain level admin group member). At this point, it will validate the credentials and then create the account with the proper SID from the joining machine.

Yep, I want to have two DCs but the box running NT4 is just to slow for Win2k...

What are its specs? What else will be running on it (SQL, Exchange, etc)?

Microsoft wants you to upgrade, so they don't allow NT4 to be DC or BDC in active directory setup.

If you have P200+ with 128 ram and less then 5-10 systems on the network ya box should be just fine with 2k.

Now I got it somehow the way I want it, the NT box is in the domain as a server and is running WINS, FTP, SMTP, DNS, etc...

The main DC is a K7 800, 256 Mb RAM...

The NT4 box is waaay too slow for Win2k but NT4 Server is running quite fast... (P166, 64 Mb RAM, going to upgrade to 200+ soon)