Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pythagoras

Dream features - your list of what you wish you could do in

Just curious what youve always wanted to be able to do in a winndows environment, but is either impossible/available or you dont know how.

1) Ive always wanted to be able to alpha blend any 2 windows together so I could be using one and still be able to see through the window Im using to something else. Maybe this is posible, but I cant figure it out.

2) On the same note, Id like to be able to make any given window "always on top" so that I could more easily look at multiple widnows.

I'd like there to be an easy way of doing this (sorry for the big picture):

shot1.gif

ie. have a program such as winamp take up a certain portion of the screen and everything else stays out of that space, even when maximised. I currently do this by having ICQ open behind winamp, but it's hardly convenient cos I have to move winamp to the right place each time it starts up.

Oh, and you mentioned alpha transparency. Have you tried the transperizer? The home page is down but you can get it from here

--

Xiven

OKay, that's damn cool.

It that Litestep?

Anyway, my dream features for windows environment:

A replicator that has optimal algorithms for reproducing

- double bourbon & coke :P

- triple espresso caramel latte cool

- herb, tomato, garlic and salami pizza cool

- that G-13 pot they talked about in American Beauty. laugh

Back to the real world mad - I want a machine that doesn't have to be rebuilt if you accidently install some crappy drivers. ;(

Yeah, Ive experimented with window blinds + other shells. I cant say any are terribly stable... I really wish it was easier to interchange/customize shells in windows whether they be GUI or command line...

Xiven - I think you are getting at similar things I am, viewing multiple windows in a non-cumbersome way is difficult in the typical explorer shell.

BTW... anyone that has any alternative shell/GUI enhancing progys that dont suck up ram, feel free to share.

hey, ge0ph! awesome site dude!

I have issues with the object desktop environment- I mean its seems soo gaudy, and looking at it gives me a headache (notice the little rectangles around each button). Also it seems to suck up ram... Maybe I havent given it much of a chance, but what if I just want to add a little button up on every windows title bar to snap it always on top? Keeping the rest of the windows desktop looking the same. Can this be done with minimal effort?

BTW, ge0ph, I saw the "pics" of the new iMacs on your site. If you are gonna have those, you might as well have this.

laugh

Thanks for the comments on my site and desktop.

My GUI is done with Stardock programs included with Object Desktop. What I like about Object Desktop is that you can use as much or as little as you like. I really don't see much of a performance hit with all the eyecandy on. My system is a dual 533, 384megs of ram, and a Radeon 32 vid card.

I just posted some more screenshots at my site. What's funny is right now I'm running straight windows with no mods. shocked It is getting boring so I will problably start moding my desktop today.

Well I just had a fun time with lite step! wink Id say it had some very cool ideas, just bad implementation and a very high learning curve. Also litestep requires you to alter some registry values to install/uninstall, these can be hard to find...

sshot3.jpg

Well looky what I found! I found a very cool program called alpha vr, you can get it at cnet, and I believe its free ware. It lets you make any window always on top, alpha blended, both, you can also save widnow settings...

Very cool so far

Doug

What is the name of that Skin Ge0ph?

the gray one

Ancker Jade

i would like to see an easier way to change shells in windows too much like gnome and X-Windows for Linux. And that replicator didnt sound too bad either.

Stardock is working on a porgram that will tie many different skined apps together. It will save the skins for the different apps in one file and then when you change the theme it will change all the apps skins to match. I think it will be pretty cool when it's done.

Ge0ph....How did you make the start menu like it is? without a task bar?

Ancker

It's DesktopX from Stardock. With DesktopX you can do just about anything you want and it's a lot easier to use then Litestep. You can see some more screenshots at http://www.wincustomize.com/ that are far more complicated then the ones I make.

The ability to display different resolutions on the same screen. Then you could test graphics in a higher resolution without having to change your entire screen. You could also drop the resolution on certain items (start menu, Windows Explorer, messenger programs) so that the screen could be rendered faster while everything else maintains a high resolution.