Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Phasis

Whistler Registration

As you are all probably aware, whislter has an inbuilt copy protection which requires it to be registered with MS. I know there are ways around this rather annoying process, but will it cause my install to cease to work?

The fix i found requires an alteration to the RegDone key in the registry. I did this several days after i installed the OS, but the registration window continues to show.

------------------

C2 566@850 1.7v Arcticooler

Asus P3V4X 256mb PC133

Leadtek GF2MX 215/205

IBM DESKSTAR 75GXP 45GB

Quantum 10.2GB CX

36x CdRom

2x 3com 3c905b

Win 2000 Pro

Whistler B2462

Alcatel ADSL Modem-Bigpond

if your copy is legit then you have no reason not to activate it. If its not then well i cant help you there because we dont tolerate w.arez on here.

Well he could of just said NO. No matter what you CHOOSE to do it will in no way harm it in any way. I will buy Whistler when it comes out but I will use other ways than MS way.

I like the word "WE" he uses. We are just one big happy family here.

I just installed and followed the method we people install. I guess we'll see if it's going to work in 14 days.

You can have a legit copy and need a crack. I for one am not going to pay for several copies because I have multiple puters. And when someone has asked for help with the registering in the past they have been helped so ware.z is infact tolorated in here....

yours is not to judge ..if you can't help say no and rack off.

do you like it when you change underwear each time you have to tell your mum?

Well its the same thing here with MS.

JBrave has a good point. I am also going to buy XP when it come out but there is no way in hell I am going to pay for every copy I am going to install on my computers. What I want to know is how many home users really buy a legit copy of Windows for every computers they own??

"do you like it when you change underwear each time you have to tell your mum?

Well its the same thing here with MS."

Sir, what rubbish you are talking!

How much research have you done into product activation?

Or, like so many people have just read a few of the rumours currently circulating the Internet, made yourself an expert on the issue, and have now decided to tell everybody about how bad it all is?

Nobody knows exactly how the product activation will work.

MS have included it with beta2 but that doesn't mean this is exactly how it will be in the final release.

The number one rumour flying around is the 'As soon as I change anything, like my mouse I'll have to re-activate'

This is not going to be the case, neither is a CPU, RAM, Video Card upgrade going to force you to re-activation.

All indications are that it will work on a points system.

Imagine a scale of 1-10 with your PC state being a number 5 during the initial installation.

The OS will continue to function without re-activation on scores of 3-7.

You go out and purchase new MB, new CPU, new RAM & new video card then yes, you suddenly going to be scoring a 10 and re-activation will be required.

Product activation takes about 15 seconds, 15 seconds out of your life every time you perform a major upgrade like this.

If product activation stops such posts on forums along the lines of 'Why wont Quake 3 run on my Win2k Server / Advanced Server machine?' then I am 100% behind this system.

Quote:
You can have a legit copy and need a crack. I for one am not going to pay for several copies because I have multiple puters.

Then for all but one computer you won't have a "legit copy", now will you?

I am wondering if registration/activation is required every time the OS is installed. I don't know about all of the rest of you, but I have probably reinstalled Win2k upwards of 25 times in the last year, mostly when some rogue driver screws something up. Is there going to be a problem with MS if I have to reactivate once a month or so? Anybody know?

Ed

>Product activation takes about 15 seconds, 15 seconds out >of your life every time you perform a major upgrade like >this.

That is untrue you have to call MS on the phone and tell them you upgraded that's 10 minutes on the phone ATLEAST not to mention a big hassle. That's another reason why I would use a crack I'm not going to call them everytime I upgrade they can kiss my arse.. Unless they plan other ways, I've heard of a suggestion that makes great sense but who knows if MS will use any suggestions they recieve. ;(

BladeRunner...........

Coming from the junior-ist of junior members, I gotta' tell ya' that your willingness to let MS dictate when you need to call them is scary.

History has proven that any "agency"; ie...AT&T (MaBell!), the IRS, any group that can exert control.........., WILL attempt to expand its control "Once they get their nose under the tent"! If for no other reason than based on historical perspective, you shouldn't go so willingly down the path of......."Hey, no big deal! How bad can it be!" Once again, history has proven it can be far worse than you can imagine.

Or, as is sometimes said, "It's not that you're paranoid. It's that you're not paranoid enough!"

In short, trust MS? Not on your life. They simply haven't proven they have your or my best interests at heart!

Unfortunately, as new programs come out that require a "controlled OS" like XP, I know I'll have a hard time not relinquishing control in favor of running the hotest new App.

Steven

so has some1 fgot a crack for winXP build 2463 cause my time is running out plz help smile

Quote:

Unless they plan other ways

You are also meant to be able to do it over the Internet, so it shouldn't be a huge problem. Over the first month or two of release of the OS, do you really think they are going to employee hundreds of people just to give out activation codes?

After a few months, sales are likely to even out, and large companies will either not be required to use a code, or can use the same code for hundreds of machines. This should make it easier to get through on the phone.

Quote:
Originally posted by EM
I am wondering if registration/activation is required every time the OS is installed.

From the current info, I would say that if your hardware doesn't change, then nor will your activation code. A simple wipe and reinstall shouldn't cause any problems at all.

Quote:

so has some1 fgot a crack for winXP build 2463 cause my time is running out plz help smile

plz help me!