Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TR909

Whistler Installed-NO Me now

Well after a lot of reading all over the .net about "Whistler",i finally decided to give 'em a try.The installation was typical-no problems encountered-and about half an hour later the setup was finished.

On my machine i already had Windows Me,Windows 2000 on a dual-boot setup.So i played a bit with Whistler,my ISDN modem was not working though(even the standard 33600 installation didn't work),so i decided to boot in Me so i had the .net ability again.Now in the boot-menu at the start i have three options:Me,2k,Whistler.I chose Me and went on :)Everything was going cool until the desktop appeared (no apps loaded yet).At that moment the comp "froze".Pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del brought the infamous menu with the "msgrv (not responding)" message.Now what?!?!Choosing the End Task and you have a nice BSOD!and a totally crashed system-only reset works here.

Next step i entered "Safe-Mode".Everything seemed ok(in fact it was ok for 2 months now as for the hardware)just to see if i had the safe-mode option.I rebooted tried again the normal boot...Nothing.I was getting really frustrated.Then i tried Safe Mode/Deleting+Reinstalling devices-sometimes this fixes crappy windows for me.Nothing again.ALWAYS i get the msgrv (not responding)and no Me of course.

I am really in a very desperate situation cause i have a load of "things" in my Me partition,not to mention that i had them for the 1st time running stable.I would appreciate any kind of help,suggestion,solution to my problem.

Here's some more details:

Intel Pentium 3 600@800 on ASUS CUSL2-C (BIOS 1006a),256MB PC133 CAS3,IBM DTLA 30GB (primary master),WD 20GB EB (primary slave),DVD-Rom Pioneer 106s,Plextor Cd-Rom 40x and CDRW 12x10x31 both SCSI on a Adaptec 2904CD controller,GeForce 2MX 32MB,SB Live Value,Studio PC-TV Pro,3Com 905C NIC,plus a Logitech Quickam Express and an ISDN modem.

The above hardware was "functioning properly" without a problem in both Win Me,2k.

As for the installation-the setup was initialized through Win2k,rebooted the machine and started again in "Whistler-setup" mode.Whistler was put on the Western Digital disk (primary slave)while keeping on my IBM the other two OS.The disk was formated through the installation process in FAT32.

About Whistler i really have no comments except that it takes (for me) ages to log on(having done the registry hack)and that my ISDN modem got crashed in a way that even hardware reseting it wouldn't work-my phone line was also blocked.Only when i unplugged the serial connector from it,it came back and all this having the PC off!!!As for the devices only the Pinnacle and the camera have the yellow ? in device manager...BTW i installed build 2428 and i am not a beta tester :)Sorry for writing such a long post.

------------------

The infamous beatbox!

Windows 2000 was a piece of garbage (and still lacks the good 9x compatibility and features) until RC1 and RC2 were out.

Windows XP will probably fall along the same path, except it'll actually be able to run everything, not just 90 % of things, lol

Of course, it also depends on the sofware youve got too as far as compatablity...as far as I can tell anything that will run under 98 and NT 4 has run under Win2k.

I dont expect the Whistler (Windows XP) to be flawless right now, being in its beta stage, but I do expect it to be perfect if not near-perfect. ;(

The only possible issue would be with that activation code crap, but are already out if Im not mistaken.

Also, I know you probably dont want to do this, but set the P3 back to 600MHz and see if you experience the same problem.

O.k Me problem solved.It was the f@#$%d up modem making this.I only hope i wasn't charged a long distance call smile

For Whistler:just finished the installation,the only thing i tried (always my first move after installing an OS)was Unreal Tournament.A bad experience though,probably a driver issue(10.40 is coming).As for the apps i have plenty in mind :)Next step is setting my Internet connection.I hope my next post would be written on Whistler's IE6 :P

Going into safe mode to uninstall the "home thing"...cya

------------------

The infamous beatbox!

I like the nick name. the 909 was great but you still gotta love the old school 808 smile