Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
matttah

Linux boot disk?

Heya, I just upgraded my linux 9.0 to fedora(redhat)...i use win me and it kept eating the boot menu so i used a boot disk for 9.0, and when i went to make boot disk for fedora i guess it messed up and did not create one. So does someone have a boot disk download i can get? Or a command that i can get into linux?

Thanks

Daum

We can try. First, you mean that Fedora ate your Win ME MBR, so that you are not able to boot directly into Windows, correct?

When you installed/upgraded to Fedora, what bootloader did you choose, or which are you usuing, lilo or grub?

Do you know what partiton(s) Fedora is on?

I'll have to look at my Fedora disc to see if they have a rescue option, But probably tou need to know what partition Fedora root was installed on.

P.S. I just looked at the Fedora disc. You have an option to rescue the system, but make sure that you have the partition location that Fedora is on. It did not find my Fedora install, but my situation is a multi-boot system.

Also take a look at the following excellent article on Fedora installation;

http://www.informit.com/isapi/product_id...nt/articlex.asp

Pop in the 1st Fedora disc. When you get the initial Fedora screen, choose F5 to get the rescue menu. Then type in linux rescue as per the instructions.

If given the option during the recue, also choose to make a boot floppy. Make sure that the floppy is a clean, formatted disk.

Let us know how it goes.

Let us know how it goes.

WEll, I kinda gave up on having my windows partition on my computer too and i wanted to force myself to learn linux, so now i only have fedora installed. My only question is, after running up2date(i'm working on learning the yum updater prog since i saw someone suggested that) now there are two fedora's on the boot menu...but I have not installed any new ones =\. This only occured after running up2date and such. Also in yum, to get all of the updates is there a certain command i can do? I followed a webpages install instructions which left me after install lynx was done, not sure what to do now, i'm slowly learning though-=)

Daum

If you updated the kernel, I bet you have 2 possible choices on the menu, I for the old kernel and one for the new.

I'm also guessing. You updated from RedHat 9 to Fedora, and I bet that the two choices could also be one for RedHat and one for Fedora.

Does choosing one (highlighting one with the arrow keys) and hitting the enter key) bring up Fedora? Probably the first one is Fedora and the second RedHat.

Try choosing the first, as noted above and do you get KDE or a graphical interface (desktop)?

i have a desktop (GUI) I did not upgrade though this time it was a fresh install of Fedora.

Daum