Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brian Frank

Will XP run on this okay?

I have a test system that I'd like to know how well it would run with XP. Im already dual booting with ME and Win2k.

Specs:

Pentium III 667@667

192MB SDRAM

Tyan Trinity 400

Western Digital ATA66 5400RPM 17.2 GB

WD ATA33 4500RPM 2.5 GB (Mp3's)

Voodoo 3 3000 AGP

Realtek 10/100 NIC PCI

SB16 OEM PCI

SB compatible ISA card, but thats just cuz the PCI sound card cant function under the version of Linux I got.

I have like a ~5 or so GB partition set aside for another OS.

I'll probably get some more RAM for it later on, but right now everything seems to run pretty smoothly.

it should but,if not don't be surprised. Your isa card might be a problem but who know's just load it up and see what happens but make sure u have the proper crack for your build.

"In order to be free to learn"

"We must be free to dream"

------------------

[This message has been edited by Joker (edited 20 March 2001).]

should work well

it works well for me the specs of my system are listed below. Your comp seems a little better than mine in processor speed. And the alphas of whistler worked well on my machine when i had only 128 megs of ram.

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500

Dual Boot

Windows Whistler Pro 2446

Windows Millennium Final Retail

PIII @ 500 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

512 Megs Ram

Guillemot Maxi Gammer Cougar (TNT2 M64 w/ 32 Megs of RAM)

Matrox Millennium PCI (w/ 4 Megs of RAM for second monitor)

3Com Etherlink XL 10/100 Ethernet Card

2 x Abit Hot Rod Pro ATA-100 RAID Controlers

2 x 12.6 Gig Maxtor Hard Disks RAID 0 (for system)

1 76.3 Gig Maxtor Hard Disk (for storage)

40X LG CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Iomega Internal Zip Drive

MS Explorer Mouse

MS Natural Keyboard Pro

Cool.

If I get any new version of Linux, the ISA sound card will go. I thought these specs would be okay, but just wanted to make sure.

That'll run XP nice and fine. Regarding your version of linux, what are you using? All you may need to do is upgrade to the new kernel and install some new library packages for PCI sound support (unless your using icky corel linux then yer screwed)

Well, Ive got a copy of Linux-Mandrake 7.1, but 7.2 supports the SB PCI, and Ive heard that LM 8.0 is in beta right now. I believe I'll wait for that version to come out. I know enough to just get around, but I can see where Linux wont become preinstalled on any new pcs for awhile. Its just fun to see how another OS runs. Id try the Mac OS out if I could run it on a pc.

You can run MacOS on a pc through an emulator. email me or icq me at 19901838 and i can give you more details. And regarding linux...install redhat 7. its alot better than mandrake and it has rockin NVidia support

Isnt Mandrake basically RedHat with some different features,cause thats basically what Ive heard.

Right now since this isnt my main rig, the video card isnt a big deal. The V3 runs great with any OS Ive run, cause 3dfx was pretty much the only graphics chip maker for gaming back a few years ago. So, it thinks its a 2000, so what? It runs well enough.

I am very excited how Linux is moving along especially with the 2.4 kernal improved USB support.

I'm used to using the KDE interface, probably cuz its the most familiar.

I really would like to network the box when its running Linux, but in Mandrake, I was only able to get the DSL to run.

yea, same thing pretty much, the only reason i ever switched from RedHat to Mandrake was the fact that it came with KDE.

Yeah, the new redhat beta now ships with KDE 2.1 and the new 2.4 kernel. One thing i;ve noticed is that redhat seems to support my sblive! better. With mandrake there was a lot of background hissing and i got this weird noise everytime i moved my mouse.

Hmm, the only distro Ive worked with is Mandrake. I do have a Caldera beta, but Id much rather run a final version. I'll see whats up with different distros though. RH seems to be pretty standard as far as Linux goes.

Mandrake 7.2 seems a step in the right direction for Linux. But, I still think major improvements can be made. Im not saying Linux should just become another Windows, but if more manufacturers would include Linux drivers on the CD, that would help immensely.

On a side note, I read in one Linux mag that with XP, some hardware specifications by MS would prevent the same hardware from running on Linux. Im just remembering it off the top of my head, so this is the best I can do. If this is true, Linux is in some deep sh*t.

Anyway, I'll see what pops up with Linux distros in the future. KDE2.1 is a really exciting developement for Linux.