Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
qwerty01

Will XP replace 2000?

I have just passed the NT 4.0 Workstation test (just before the deadline) and I am about to start on the 2000 track. The people at this forum seem to know quite a bit about XP & I am wondering if I am doing the right thing by getting a full MCSE in 2000, or should I just get a MCP in 2000 & wait for the XP certification tests to come out? Does anyone think that XP will eventually become a full replacement for 2000?

So far I have an A+, CNA, and a MCP in NT 4.0.

------------------

Athlon 700 @ 698

Epox 7kxa

256Mb PC133

Hercules Prophet 32Mb DDR

Sound Blaster X-Gamer

Pioneer 16x DVD

HP 9100i CD-RW

2-30gig 7200RPM WD HD

ViewSonic PF790 19"

Win98SE

Full Tower

hah, if you like, run a server or something, most won't move to it (nice life)

other than that, XP blows 2000 out the door in all performance tests on this system.

trust me, I always do extensive tests on operating systems before I move to them.

anyways, that's just my system, god knows what anyone else is running.

[This message has been edited by jdulmage (edited 02 March 2001).]

Windows 2000 has been adopted by quite a few companies.

We have moved away from NT4 to Win2k on all our servers.

However we hold no interest at all in moving from Win2k to WinXP (This is from a company stand point)

The money involved in moving all the servers plus up[censored] our CAL's just wouldn't be worth it.

I would expect most companies to follow this, if they have already adopted Win2k they are unlikely to adopt WinXP, except for new workstations.

XP is directed more at a home user and a business that hasnt upgraded to 2k yet atmosphere. It has been said XP is just a minor upgrade to 2k where blackcomb will be major. So unless a business is running nt4 servers and workstations the reason for upgrading to XP is negligable.

yeah, you realize that the explorer shell is NT 6.0 in Windows XP now eh? so it's no longer this minor upgrade. If you actually ran XP 2419 Advanced Server (impossible to find, but it's out there). You'll see that it blows away 2000 Advanced Server, with it's new server features, etc.

Minor upgrade my *** . It's the OS that it should have been and the OS that i've always wanted, win2k just didn't cut it

You do realize how much it costs to upgrade an entire companies OS? Lots! If they just upgraded to Win2k it'll probably be another 2 years before they upgrade anything else.

I agree totally that once a company spends thousands on upgrading to 2000 that they will not upgrade again for a while. What about when Microsoft has a full release of XP?? What about new companies & companies that haven't upgraded to 2000 yet? I don't believe that Microsoft will have 2 OS's in direct competition. It doesn't make financial sense to have direct competition with yourself, so Microsoft will more than likely put their full support into XP when it gets the full release out the door.

What the hell is blackcomb? If this is another codename, they should fire the guy making the codenames.

wow? so you've seen the prices of XP eh? wow, I didn't know you knew how to travel into the future.

How do you know that it's not going to be like $59 upgrade, $109 full or some crap like that?

You don't, so shut up already

I don't think that a company would just upgrade 1 or 2 machines. Plus upgrade costs cover:

1. Tech time

2. New hardware/software upgrades for the OS

It's easy to rack up several thousand bucks (US) just to upgrade 20-30 PCs, not including the servers.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jdulmage:
wow? so you've seen the prices of XP eh? wow, I didn't know you knew how to travel into the future.

How do you know that it's not going to be like upgrade, 9 full or some crap like that?

You don't, so shut up already
</font>

calm down already. There is a big difference between getting a single CD and putting win2k on every machine in your house(assuming you have more than one) and upgrading the entire company where you can't do that since businesses are the primary targets of BSA(Boy Scouts of America). Besides, the only reason why MS was almost giving away WinME is because not a single dumbass out there would spend 90 bucks for an oversized service packs that doesn't even do its job. Don't expect MS to do the same with XP.

the codenames whistler and blackcomb are named after the 2 ski resorts outside of seattle washington.

Whistler and Blackcomb are the name of 2 ski resorts outside of Vancouver, British Columbia:-)

Shrink

For business XP will be a "minor" upgrade from Windows 2000.

For Home users using the 9x line it will be "major".

What is "minor" and "major"? wink

Duh, jdulmage, I refuse to believe that you are a dumbass that believes that if a company upgrades their entire system or even just the servers to Win2k that they can just buy an XP upgrade that will cost $179 & expect that to be all it takes to upgrade a company. There are site licenses, per server licenses, per seat licenses..... I guess it is possible for a company that has ONE server & ONE workstation to upgrade for that cheap, but how many companies have that? I do not have to travel to the future to see that it will be expensive for a company to upgrade their equipment just a few months after they upgraded to Win2k.

*edit* So what is blackcomb? Other than a ski resort?

[This message has been edited by qwerty01 (edited 03 March 2001).]

[This message has been edited by qwerty01 (edited 03 March 2001).]

Isnt it kinda inconsiderate of MS to release a new, latest & greatest OS every 2 years? I mean, this is more of a problem for businesses than anything, because of all the techs they have to have, IT techs have to have a good knowledge and maybe have to be certified for it. If they dont then, they'll have to within the next 2 releases of Windows, or MS might drop the support for older Windows. And somewhere along the line, you'll have to upgrade the hardware...Plus, remember the licensing fees? No wonder some companies are turning to Linux or Unix.

Jdulmage... obviously you have a rather low IQ...there are more costs to upgrading than just purchasing the OS... what about the tons of money required for installation labour, planning, training of employees, possible misc hardware replacements (if need be) as well as database conversion...

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brian Frank:
Isnt it kinda inconsiderate of MS to release a new, latest & greatest OS every 2 years? </font>

Yeah Brian perhaps innovation should stop cause it costs too much money.

yeah, let's just halt right now, and freeze the computer world forever in this state, because you know, you guys may actually have to pay something rather than stealing it for once.

Look, if I buy an OS, I'd like to buy 1 copy, even if I have more than 1 pc. Plus, Windows, even an upgrade, is pretty pricey. The upgrade for Win2k was almost $200!

Its hard to say if people will upgrade to XP. Yeah, new pcs will ship with xp preinstalled, but for me,2k is the best os Ive run. laugh

Oh, yeah, remember MS "innovates" whatever someone else came up with first. mad

That's fucking gay that I would have to buy a copy for every single one of my own PC's! Sheesh...... You buy one copy for your own personal use and you should be able to put that one copy on all your own personal PC's! End of story!

The Questionnaire beta 2.0 icon5.gif

i figure that when i am rich i will do the right thing and buy all the programs but right now i can not afford it no way. so i pirate the software that i need/want and i dont feel bad about it cause it hurts ms and adobe and who ever else very little cause i would not buy the software anyway so in a way they are not really losing anything at all. I kinda justify it in like a robin hood kinda way like the rich are supporting adobe and the software pirates are like robinhood and i am like the poor and i download the stuff for free but as i said i wouldn't buy it anyway so the software giant loses no sales. Maybe that is wrong and i should be put behind bars for my crimes but then again maybe i should be locked up for puffin the herb or driving 150 mph in a 40. **** money **** the system do what you please steal what you need live for you **** everything else.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jdulmage:
yeah, let's just halt right now, and freeze the computer world forever in this state, because you know, you guys may actually have to pay something rather than stealing it for once.</font>

I have a legit copy of 95, 98, 98se upgrade, Me (rip off mad ) and 2000 pro. Ive never had a problem with buying an OS (unless its beta, Paying to test their OS on my system? HELL NO) But I sure as hell cant afford to buy 3 copies of an OS for each computer in my house. If thats the case I may need to use online resources to keep up to date. Its a load of B.S. Microsoft worries about big time software pirates who sell the software but the small home user gets nuked. mad Oh well. Just my .02
Later

oh god, will you all shut up already. all that happens here is flaming, arguing and crap, this board has dropped in professional status since the last couple of months. I take responsibility for some of it. but now it's to the point where if almost anyone starts a post, it turns into a war. Why are you complaining to the forum? do you think we really care about whether or not your going to buy for your computer systems or not. All that goes around about XP and it's anti-piracy stuff is rumors and lots and lots of assuming when you don't know jack. I get a lot of info from sources near or working at MS, so it's fairly clean cut, straight out news.

Perhaps a whole lot of you should just sit up, shut up, start acting your age, get professional, and we will all do the same in return.

These types of people have ruined the forum since they arrived (I am aware that I take some of the blame, but certainly, at least, lately, I don't take even 2 % of it)