Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Four and Twenty

2428 = Best Windows yet

I have been using windows xp build 2428 for a few days now as my main os. It has performed exceptionally. I never imagined that it would be so much faster than windows 2000. It boots as fast as winme and has all the 2000 features and then some and it is a dream to work with. The new UI not only doesn't slow things down it actually works much better/faster than 2000. I have not wanted or needed to boot 2k or winme since i got whistler installed. I think that when the final XP comes out i am gonna ditch the triple boot config cause xp does it all. I can't wait to see Beta 2...

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500

Triple Boot

Windows 2000 Pro 2195

Windows Whistler Pro 2428

Windows Millennium Final Retail

PIII @ 500 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

512 Megs Ram

Guillemot Maxi Gammer Cougar (TNT2 M64 w/ 32 Megs of RAM)

Matrox Millennium PCI (w/ 4 Megs of RAM for second monitor)

3Com Etherlink XL 10/100 Ethernet Card

2 x Abit Hot Rod Pro ATA-100 RAID Controlers

2 x 12.6 Gig Maxtor Hard Disks RAID 0 (for system)

1 76.3 Gig Maxtor Hard Disk (for storage)

40X LG CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Iomega Internal Zip Drive

MS Explorer Mouse

MS Natural Keyboard Pro

And not a single piece of software that I actually own

I agree. I have been running this latest build for about a week and I can't say enough good things about it. It runs like a dream on my system, previous builds only stayed on my system for a day or less because I could not stand the slowness and other quirks. This OS is awesome!! I normally get my OS's for free through work (Guess where ;)) but if I leave before this OS comes out I am definately going to buy it. I can only be more impressed with further builds.

Cool, glad to hear it's doin good! smile Now my only beef with it is- I hear the final is gonna have a very strict anti-piracy/activation do-hicky. I hear that if you're a system tweaker (like me) and change and swap components like video cards and motherboards often, you're more then likely to be in a world of shit (literally speeking, hehe). If you break the hardware ID tolerance, you'll be stuck with a non-functional system until you call microsoft and sort out the problem.

Well, if this is true, hope they're prepaired to recieve many calls a week from me smile I can only pray this is only a rumor I heard.........

The Questionnaire

[This message has been edited by Questionnaire (edited 22 February 2001).]

jdulmage:

I realize that you post a lot on here and that for the most part you seem to know what you are talking about but I was under the impression this was a forum to discuss Ideas and not flame each other, If I was looking for flames I would go to the ShugaShack. The person before you was just expressing a concern (a valid one with the rumors flying around the net) about the anti piracy measures that might or might not be implemented.

Just a peice of advise, next time post with some facts instead of resorting to calling people stupid (essentially).

The Questionnaire:

There have actually been a few reg hacks to get around the anti piracy measures in the latest build. It is pretty easy to get around so I suspect Microsoft will make it a little harder to get around in the next builds.

Hhhmmmm... I say they drop that idea because it's only gonna *encourage* the use of hacks/cracks by legitimate users (kinda like legit users of 3DMax cracking their copies so they didn't have to deal with those hardware-lock dongle's messing up their systems) And since i'm on the subject, I also read that even pirated mp3's and the like wont play on WinXP regardless of the playback software. Now I wonder, if this realy happens with the final, whats the difference between the illegal copyrighted mp3 that someone posted on the net and the one I encoded from my own personal CD collection? How would it know the difference?(just saying if this was to be true) As impressed with WinXp as I am, i'd realy hate to be missing out on it just because it wont let me play around with swaping/changing system configs or playing my own personal mp3 collection that was encoded from CD's that I own. I realy hate to sound negative, but I just hope they find a better way without alienating the very customers they depend on. smile Because in the end- this is only gonna hurt the legitimate users smile

The Questionnaire

that sh1t would never fly how could they code a frickin os that would prevent your pirated mp3s from playing. And if you crack the activation you can change your config all day long without having to call M$. So what is the problem? Have you tried whistler? Can you even begin to conceive of how cool this new version of windows really is. I personally would never switch back to win2k ever even if i had to use a cracked 2428 for the rest of my life. Also sorry to be cold but I really don’t care about the legitimate users.

Yeah, after thinking about it, it does seem kind of a weak copy protection scheme. I mean, a plaintext registry key in a rather obvious location. Clearly, MS does not intend for this to be a professional solution.

I am more in thinking with others who have said it seems to be more of an experiment more than anything else at this point. MS want's to see what reaction to this is going to be. Personally, I think it's a rather poor idea given it doesn't stop ***** people/hackers whatsoever and inconveniences those who support MS the most: businesses. Already MS is having trouble trying to convince business who bought into NT to upgrade to Win2k...Imagine how much more tough it'll be to convince them to upgrade again to XP. I'm not sure a copy protection scheme such as this one would help the issue.

There is also word of a broader plan: subscription. Since there is no hard evidence on this plan yet, I'm going to assume it as just rumor and HOPE that MS reconsiders if they are thinking of implementing this idea.

I install every build every day, and I can tell you today's build, 2444, is much better than 2428...!

well i have used whistler off and on since the 1st developer preview and i will take it off because of something in the beta will get me angry but i always return to it because its like 2k but much more user friendly.

Okay i haven't seen any previews but i think from what i've heard it's pretty phat and i can't wait till the real version comes out