Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bursar

Whistler and multi-monitor support

This was raised briefly in the Hardware forum, but I thought I'd pop in here and ask properly.

Are any you people who are running Whistler using either a DualHead or TwinView card?

I ask because the multi monitor stuff in Win2k is basically broken compared to how it works in 9x.

I was just wondering if Whistler does it correctly by allowing you specify different refresh rates and resolution for each monitor.

Here's hoping it's good news.

Well I was kind of disapointed yesterday by this very topic. I'm running Whistler and Win2k pro dual boot. I threw in a second video card and had perfect multi-monitor support in win2k, but couldn't get it to work at all in Whistler. Changed my bios to look for the pci card first and everything, even tried 3 different video cards with no luck. Anyone else have any input on the topic.

------------------

i have a GF2 MX with twinview but i only have one monitor so i cant see if it works or not.

Allright. We have to get this straight. With 2 discrete video cards you can have independent refresh rates in Win2K. It's when you have one card with 2 outputs that Win2K starts to suck. I've had complete success with 2 separate cards.

I have two cards in my machine and it worked great in whistler 2250 when I had it. I works great in 2000 and I don't have it set up in ME because i use win me only to play games. Oh yeah and I am able to use two separate refresh rates and resolutions. I had a G400 DH for a while and it was having the same problem that you guys are talking about. I have heard that it is a problem with the os and not the video card drivers. But I am not sure if that is true or not.

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500

Dual Boot

Windows 2000 Pro 2195

Windows Millennium Final

PIII @ 500 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

256 Megs Ram

TNT2 Ultra Graphics Card

Matrox Millennium PCI (for second monitor)

3Com 10/100 Ethernet Card

3Com 56k Modem

12.6 Gig IBM HD

40X CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Zip Drive

MS Optical Mouse

Yeah I agree, two separate video cards works like a charm (like it is supposed to). Has anyone tried a dual connector card (Geforce II MX or Matrox G400 DH)?

I would be pleasantly surprised if a dual output card worked on whistler using Win2K drivers. The reason is because the drivers were written assuming that you use them on Win2K and it wouldn't work.