Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
marcusb79

Whistler 2257 and Neptune 5111 Whats the Difference

Hey guys don't flame me please.... Whats the difference between Whistler and Neptune builds. I'd really like to know if anyone has Neptune running on there system currently thanx.

Neptune is no longer in Developement. The next two that are currently in Dev are Whistler (Windows.Net 1.0) and Blackcomb (Windows.Net 2.0). Neptune was actually merged into Whistler earlier this year.

Neptune was going to be the next consumer OS. But MS scrapped the idea of naming OS's after planets, like they had done many years ago with naming operating systems after cities, i.e Windows Memphis and Windows Chicago.

MS then decided to keep Neptune for later and worked on Windows Millennium. Whistler idea had passed, internal testing started in October of 1999 (yes, before Windows 2000 was released). Neptune was still it's name, and was basically Windows 2000 with the extra goodies from Millennium (Automatic Up[censored] for example). Really, there then you can't compare one operating system to it's own self. Both OS's are the same thing in the end. Neptune is Whistler and vice versa. Neptune is no longer in development of course and we expect to see Windows 2000 stablity and features added with the Windows Millennium enchancements (System Restore, Automatic Up[censored], etc.) with the 9x support and XML/DHTML coding and new features to form what looks to be a damn good operating system in the end.

I had Neptune running on my system for 3 days, it was a nice little thing to have on your computer because you could say to yourself

"Other than ***** people and internal MS, nobody else will see this operating system"

and it's a nice thing to think about. But 5111 had a lot of bugs in it, so I had to uninstall it and go back to my previous OS [downgrading? hmm ;)].

so, that's about all I have to say, my view is that Neptune was just the prime for the operating system Whistler. Remember these things before I go.

1) Neptune was a base for Whistler Personal

2) Whistler (Neptune) was started before Windows 2000 was released. (Some people didn't know that).

3) It'll all get better in due time

Thank you for this time

<edit>

I must add, why is the word w4r3z (I can't spell it *****, because it gets blipped out)

why is that censored? Give me a break

</edit>

------------------

-------------------------

Because I can.....

-------------------------

[This message has been edited by jdulmage (edited 23 September 2000).]

Yeah I had neptune 5111 running along side of win 2k win me and wistler 2250 but neptune sucked ass and was as jdulmage said very buggy so i ended up deleting it. But it was cool to see just for the hell of it I guess. I had gotten it cause i saw screen shots of it on the winsupersite and the activity centers looked cool but i never found them i guess they were hidden in the os somewhere. Like the start panel in whistler.

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500

Dual Boot

Windows 2000 Pro 2195

Windows Millennium Final

PIII @ 500 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

256 Megs Ram

TNT2 Ultra Graphics Card

Matrox Millennium PCI (for second monitor)

3Com 10/100 Ethernet Card

3Com 56k Modem

12.6 Gig IBM HD

40X CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Zip Drive

MS Optical Mouse

[This message has been edited by Four and Twenty (edited 01 October 2000).]

ok, so what your saying was Whistler is from Neptune development features but based on the win2k core. confused I thought (stupidly) that Whistler started after win2k on the final code and went from there BUT now that I think about it, it would be pretty damn smart to fix all the bugs in whistler in realtime while they were being found in win2k... I also thought Whistler was just Win2k+SP1+new gui.. 2257 had refresh problems w/ the new window scheme though ;(

------------------

Moo

In case of an emergency, break glass, scream, bleed to death.

CUSL2-650e@905-256pc150cas2-wd20&13gbata66-10x4x32sony-8xcldvd-clap2gts64mb-supadisk-sblive!