Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Stickmanrockin

Why the secrecy???

I'm confuzzled. M$ deliberately leaks these builds out for folks to test for them. This is not news. They've done the same thing ever since win95 that I recall. Knowing this...why are sites acting so damned secretive about having it and keeping copies of it *so close to the vest*?

I'm not an IT person nor am I a MCSE. I build machines and do the small business network thingy from time to time. I am never gonna get to be a beta tester for M$. I am still, however, an advanced end-user and can run an OS thru it's paces like anyone else and still smile that I am one of a few *(depending on your definition) that is using whatever it is.

I've been to the German site, to the channel on EFnet, dalnet and all my usual haunts for getting software to test before I buy...and yes, I do actually buy software IF I have had the chance to try it out 1st. But people seem to either be hoarding the Os or acting as if B. Gates and the feds are poised to attack...when its adeliberately leaked alpha hehehehe...I just don't get it. Could someone explain the need for this please!

thanks smile

LOAD OF BULLSHIT ALERT!

Microsoft doesn't leak out betas you idiot, I have seen employees ILLEGALLY leak builds before, but what your saying is so fucking funny, it makes my sides hurt...

<edit>

I may as well just up and tell you that my mother's friend works at Microsoft, he has told me millions of times that MS doesn't like the leaking of betas, he says it's against policies

</edit>

------------------

-------------------------

Because I can.....

[This message has been edited by jdulmage (edited 22 September 2000).]

I don't think I understand... you are upset because you don't have a MSN developers member ship? Or, that you don't have friends who will let you leach off of theirs?

-bZj

Quote:
Originally posted by jdulmage:
LOAD OF BULLSHIT ALERT!

Microsoft doesn't leak out betas you idiot, I have seen employees ILLEGALLY leak builds before, but what your saying is so fucking funny, it makes my sides hurt...

<edit>
I may as well just up and tell you that my mother's friend works at Microsoft, he has told me millions of times that MS doesn't like the leaking of betas, he says it's against policies
</edit>

Glad I was able to provide you some humor but I gotta ask, if Microsoft minded the leaks of the alpha's and the beta's...then why are so many sites posting screenshots of the OS and posting reviews??? If M$ minds this all so much, then why aren't they filing legal complaints against all the sites that are posting screenshots of the OS in action???

PS...what can I say, my wife lovesbeing married to an idiot hehehehe

The reason why is because

1) it's not illegal to post screenshots

2) The webmasters could be testers

3) It's advertisement for them

4) Microsoft is not going to bother singling out each site

------------------

Because I can.....

Call me names(some of which may actually be accurate) if you wish, but it seems to me that a muiti-BILLION dollar comapny such as M$ could keep alpha and beta builds from being leaked if they wanted. I'm not buying that they don't want it leaked. Common sense and the fact that the builds of every stinkin' OS they have every worked on has been leaked and passed around on the net like free candy suggests otherwise.

Okay...let the name calling resume hehehehe

Once again, I'm confused... you think posting a screenshot is "leaking" the software?

-bZj

I belive Stickmanrockin is right. Even thought you, jdulmage, have a friend that says Micro$oft is very against leaks, that is only their official attitude. Anyone can leak such betas in the company, even bill himself, and no-one know about it was a deliberate leaking.

If something is done and Micro$oft don't like it, like people showing screenshots of it in reviews, they would have acted.

Like www.the-ctrl-alt-del.com (must love that domain eh?) they posted a beta build of DX8, but then got an email from Micro$oft to close it. So they did.

Anyway, Stickmanrockin I'm sure you'll find the OS, I usually comes by it every know and then when lurking around FTPS and FSERVEs on efnet. You've just had bad luck until now.

I agree with Gambler. Furthermore, to get Alpha or Beta's copy sended to your door, you usually have to work for a software comp. or anything related to that industry. Anyhow, there are sites, ftp's and etc. where you can find "illegal" copies. About the leak issu, don't you think that it has never occured to M$ thoughts that once the beta's are send out to testers, the software can be copied and redistributed? Actually, I have a feeling that they don't really care that much about the "illegal" redistributing because hackers and ***** users arent a threat (yet) to their business.

The W4r3Z word is censured??? haha... that's something new since my last visit! hehe What happened to the right of speech amendment?

Hmm... going to try something else to see if this works. W.A.R.E.Z.

I have to agree about Microsoft leaking builds on purpose.. If they really cared, they would find the loose ends (People that leak copies) and tie them up (Fire the person smile

Microsofts "Official Policy", like any other company, says they do not condone piracy, but who knows? They could be leaking it just to let advanced people (Like most of us on this board) try it out, test it, and then post the bugs here.. Who knows, old Bill himself could be reading these posts.

It's not like piracy can really hurt Microsoft, if it did, then they wouldn't be the multi-billion dollar corporation they are today.

If Whistler wasn't being leaked intentionally, Microsoft would have the loose end tied up faster then you can say "Monopoly"

~Elian_Gonzalez

~~All hail the cuban boy, and kill Castro :P