Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Emilee1

Win2000 cannot detect ME for duel boot

I have ME on C drive on a 13gig. I have D on a 4gig. I put Win2000 in my CD drive which is E. It auto runs, tells asks me if I would like to upgrade to Win2000 since it is newer.

If I click no, then I have the option to hit install (for duel boot), then it tells me it cannot detect my current version of Windows.

If I select yes for upgrade to Win2000, it again tells me it cannot detect my current version of Windows.

Any way around this?

Don't worry about it. After you install Windows 2000 edit the BOOT.INI file in C:\ and add

C:\="Windows 98" at the end.

Come on guys, I need help! frown I have D open for Win2000. When I try to use a WinME boot disk to get to a A promt, my cd drive shows up as D, and my other partitions are gone.

But I try it anyhow and put D: to get to my cd drive. Then go cd: i386, and hit enter. Then go winnt, it starts and asks me where my Win2000 files are, but then it gives me a error.

I think I need a Win2000 boot disk. Any help?

It should be the first link on the page. I checked and it's still there. <shrugging>

You can make the boot disks from the Windows 2000 CD. Just run Makebt32.exe from the BootDisk directory.

If your computer will boot from CD, you don't need the boot disks.

I searched my Win2k cd for that .exe, it found no matches frown

That link is dead, again frown

*If you have a "BOOTDISK" dir on your Win2K CD*

Try this: Boot from a Win98/WinME bootdisk. Put the Win2K CD into the drive. Change to the BOOTDISK dir. At the prompt, type "makeboot.exe a:". Then follow the instructions on the screen. I just did this so I know it works.

I will try, not sure how to navigate to the bootdisk dir... Im a DOS newbie smirk

I can wiz thru the format and fdisk crap, but not go to dir's and execute .exe's that well. In lay mans terms? smile

Once in DOS at the A:\> type "x:" without quotes (x being whatever drive letter your cdrom is). You should get "x:\>". Then type "cd BOOTDISK", enter. Your prompt should now be "x:\BOOTDISK>". From there it's "makeboot.exe a:". It should bring up instructions at that point.

Well, I just checked both of my Win2K CDs [Pro and Server], and they both have BOOTDISK directories. Do you perhaps have only an upgrade disk, or possibly a thug copy?

Any way, I've put all the disks and the utility on my site: http://thugbox.dhs.org/shared/ntcomp/

There are directories for Server and Pro [which is what I assume you have]. The MAKEBT32.EXE is so you can make them from within Windows, while the MAKEBOOT.EXE is for DOS. They should guide you through everything.

Good luck,

-bZj

Thanks for the help! I got the makeboot32.exe, and double clicked on it. A DOS window came up for about 1/2 a second, then went away. I dont know how to navigate my Windows dir to try it in DOS smirk

Those .img's, can I just use them instead?

Hmm. Out of curiousity I just checked my Win2K CD-ROM, which is an upgrade disc, and sure enough there's a BOOTDISK directory.

Emilee1, do you happen to know someone that lives nearby that knows a little basic DOS?

------------------

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolph Hitler, 1935

Put the files you got into the Windows dir. Open MS-DOS Prompt. It should give you "C:\WINDOWS>". Then just type "makebt32.exe".

[This message has been edited by farphle (edited 02 November 2000).]

Its a "Time trial version" that the time trial was taken off of. However, I did make the 4 disk, I ran bootdisk.exe, not bootdisk32.exe in Windows and it worked fine. I now have 4 disks. Went on to format my D drive where I have a little over 2gigs for 2000. It gave me 4 (or 5?) optoins to format that drive. I chose to format it in NFTS, it then did that and rebooted.

HOWEVER, during setup it said that it could not find 6 files during setup. The files are:

expand.exe

ntsd.exe

regedit.exe

telnet.exe

and two others that I didnt copy down.

I tried to make it find them on the cd, it couldnt. So I skipped them. Then it rebooted and promted me with two options, Windows 2000 Pro, or Windows. Went to Win2000 Pro to finish installing it. After a fer sceconds it gave me a error:

"Windows 2000 could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.

Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.

Please check the Windows 2000 documention about hardware disk configuration and your hardware references manuals for additional information."

Now my D drive is GONE! All my partitions have moved down one spot. With my E drive (utilities) becomming my D drive. I also have a seperate partition for my Swap, Demos, Downloads, and Games. I now have one less partition...

Do I need a different CD? Do I need to pick another option to format the drive in? How do I get my D drive back? frown Sorry to lean on you guys too much, Im just stuck smirk

Sounds like time to actually BUY Win2K. 8)

------------------

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolph Hitler, 1935

You mean people actually buy Microsoft software? smile Naw, I got a friend with the retail version, Ill try that.

Now if I can just get back my lost partition.... any ideas?

My other partitions are still in use though. I have C, D, E, F, and G. Along with my CD, and CD-R. Its just that I used to have H as a partition too....

I dont want to lose any info trying to get my other 2gigs back shocked

The don't mess with the other partitions. just fdisk the one you need back, then format it, but not as the active drive.

-bZj