Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
hotrod1629

Is Windows ME Realible I would like to hear form users

I have been using Windows ME since is has been beta. After a while the whole system gives out and you have to reinstall. The system restore never works unless your computer is in perfect working order. You cant restore if you are in a jam. You need special drivers and software to run on Windows ME or else you will be sorry.

WinME is ok. It is a nice toy OS for lame users smile

If you want stability go with WIn2000 and if u want very goos stability but lots of pain, then go with Linux.

I personally like it. Its good for a gaming rig. As to the Igor's Linux recomendation, Yeah it's stable allright. Thats cause it only supports 3 devices.. How gay..Linux is a good server OS not a good workstation OS. And I guess I'm a lame user cause i want features and compatabilty...which ME gives you. Although i do agree on Win2000 I dual boot incase something doesnt work in one or the other.

works great for me but I rarely use it. Booted it up the other day just to make sure it was still there.

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500

Triple Boot Windows 2000 Pro 2195 (allways reliable) / Windows Whistler Pro 2250 (cool but buggy) / Windows Millennium Final (waste of disk space)

PIII @ 500 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

128 Megs Ram

TNT2 Ultra Graphics Card (with the core and memory overclocked by 20 Mhz and dual voodoo coolers)

Matrox Millennium PCI (for second monitor)

3Com 10/100 Ethernet Card

3Com 56k Modem

12.6 Gig IBM HD

40X CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Zip Drive

as with 4&20, i hardly use WinME, i boot over to it from time to time but i just can't keep myself away from Win2k, all of you win2k users will understand. As for stability, I find it alot more stable than win98 and win98se, but whats the use.. Whistler Persona will be out before too much longer and there will be no more Win9x

It will be a truely great day when whislter is released. We can leave that who POS 9.x architecture behind. Any of you guys in tech support will be way more happy. (or wait a minute maybe you woln't have a job anymore that would suck)

FYI Alert!!

When Whistler is out, I doubt that many will want it.

1) It could become a pay-per-month OS

that's the only reason I can think of smile

but to pay per month of an OS is pathetic

------------------

-------------------------

Because I can.....

If so, it will be crack3d soon enough, and you can enjoy it For Free like you are now doing with windows me

For the original question, is windows me more reliable? Nope, it is not. For all my experiences till now with it, it's even more unstable because of the extra features (system recovery and animated help pages)

9x is evil, please if you have chance dual boot something win2k and make sure your game developers and hardware manufactorers get to know if something is not working.

We must do what we can so Gamers finally can enjoy great stability (no need to reboot), true pre-emtive multitasking (smoother FPS) and real 32-bit operations (better performance).

But first we need drivers optimized.

what I mean by that is that you have to subscribe to MS's Whistler plan which you must pay X dollars a month for using a key...if you do not, then the key expires and goes into "reduced functionality mode" when things will be disabled..although, I trust that someone will come up with a key that is good enough to you know what with the OS...

------------------

Because I can.....

If that happens, I have a feeling there will be a mass exodus to Linux, or simply sticking to 2000.

I personally won't pay for something per month if I don't have to....and when it comes to software...I DEFINITELY won't **RENT** and OS for my OWNED computer.

I have a feeling that if MS does that, there will also be releases for people that want to OWN copies, and not want their software still owned by another company.

I.E. when I buy something, it'd damned well better be MINE.

My mate has Win ME or well he's getting it soon and its a coming my way! But anyway th eonly thing that gets right up my nose about Win 2K is that I can't playt games, well I cam, I can play Quake 3 but thats about all.

So I'm thining about going back to Win 98 first edition for a while or even Win 98 SE, not sure yet, but booting out of Win2K and into Win 98 just to play nfs hs is a real pain in the a$$. Also none of the editing tools work either.

Biut I guess this is the real pain in the padded a$$, my CD writer I can't get SCSI drivers for my SCSI 2 card so I'm really stuffed.

Oh well trhe thing I love about Win 2K, stability, PC not crashed for 3 weeks, and the fact that the internet just flies along even on my 56k V90 modem !!

And paying for an o/sper month ? MS can't enforce that, thats just stupid, its like paying for your electrcity/phone/gas who'd wanna do that ???

------------------

------

My Computer

Pentium II 350

Gigabyte 6BXC M/B

16 meg Voodoo 3 2000 AGP

128 Meg of RAM

18 gig Western Digital Expert HDD UDMA 66

Sound Blaster Live ! 256

56k Modula Tech V90 USB modem

4 x SCSI writer

Advansys Host SCSI controller

Hey Behemoth I get less hassle on W2K playing games then I ever did on W98se. Once its up and running, and no failures getting fav games running yet, they are faster and work and work and work. I am however begining to miss the worry factor, will it boot today and will it crash and relief when I manage half an hours win98 gaming. All this stability is becoming the norm and I aint used to it.

AMD K6 III 450

nVidia TNT2

SB Live